1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD-2015 MIM Pbass with upgrades and a hum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SmokinJoe992, Jun 21, 2018.

1. I recently purchased a used 2015 MIM Fender Precision Bass off of the GC used site for $349.99. The details listed for the bass listed that the bass included a case, High Mass Bridge, Bass Extender, and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups. IMO opinion these were all desirable extras (except for the High Mass Bridge which I could go either way on). All the extras alone would have cost about $300, so I figured it was a pretty good deal. It was listed in good condition.
    The first day I play the bass at home through a Fender Rumble 500 head and I absolutely love it. The tone, the feel, the neck, the look, everything is perfect except for this occasional buzz or hum which surprised me because it is a Pbass. It didn't occur all the time, but was enough to be extremely annoying. I played two of my other basses using the same cable and amp with absolutely no buzz or hum. So it is definitely the bass.
    The second day I have it, I take it to band practice, and I again absolutely love everything about the bass except now being played at louder volumes the buzz/hum is worse and even more annoying.
    What do you guys think is causing this hum. My assumption would be that the pickups or bridge were not installed properly. Could it be an easy fix or is it not worth my time. Again I really like the bass.
    I would just take it back, but I really like the bass and I don't think I would have an easy time finding one at that price in this good of shape with all the extras. I am considering taking it back to GC and telling them I will keep it if they fix the hum, or I may even try to get it fixed on my own.
    Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Because you really like the instrument, I'd recommend taking it to an independent guitar tech or luthier for the diagnosis and repair. My guess is that it's a simple grounding issue, and you'd be looking at paying for an hour or less of bench time, which might be preferable to returning the instrument to GC and potentially having them misdiagnose the problem.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.png

good luck with your buzz issue --- and congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  4. If it is just a simple grounding issue, Do you think GC would fix it for free to sell the bass?, or is it something I could potentially fix on my own? or would you definitely take it to someone else? I am leaning heavily towards just trying to fix it if it is a simple common problem. I was going to put new strings,and a black pick guard on it. So I will have everything opened anyways.

5. As a side note I am not particularly concerned with resale or collector's value. My plan with this bass is to play and gig the #@%! out of it. The bass extender and Quarter Pounders are mods I would have probable done anyways and the case is a nice bonus.

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    It isn't supposed to hum, so yeah, there is an issue. If you have experience with wiring, check your wiring against a diagram, and go over all connections. You can even post pics and we might be able to see something if it is obvious. Last step is to take it to a good luthier (not back to GC). If you like the bass, it is worth diagnosing and fixing.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  7. I am not sensing a lot of love for the ‘taking it back and seeing if GC will fix it’ option.

It will probably be a day or two until I can take it apart, but I will take pics and post when I do.

If it is a grounding issue could it be caused by the bridge being installed improperly.

8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    It's certainly possible. When you pull the bridge, you should see the small channel for the grounding wire, and the grounding wire itself protruding from the channel. The wire itself isn't soldered to the bridge, but rather its uninsulated end is held in contact with the bridge by the tightened bridge screws. If the referenced High Mass Bridge wasn't original to your Precision, there's a chance that it wasn't properly grounded upon installation.

H99848000003000_IMAGE_00?defaultImage=ics-trans&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.png

Son of Wobble likes this.