1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD-3 Months Late

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gecko 5, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Let me start by saying, I'm not one for long winded posts. So I will keep this short and sweet

I've been GAS'n for a 1965 Fender P bass for about 2 years. 65 is my birth-year.
    One came up in the classifieds here this summer I could not pass up. After losing my job of 26 years, a VERY small severance package, and a great wife, I was able to make it happen
    I got it in mid August. The refinish that was mentioned in the ad was not going to work at all for me. That had to change.
    There were gold tuners(see my ad in the classifieds) that did not seem right to me. That had to go as well. There were some changed parts the seller told me about. The bridge and knobs.

On a super tight budget, I got several quotes from several luthiers. I decided to go with Kevin Caton of Caton Guitars (http://www.catonguitars.com/). Kevin is shop manager at Lakland Basses. I've known him for a while, and have seen several finishes he's done in nitro-cellulose, which was important to me.
    Kevin was going to do the refin, install a new nut, and change the tuners. After three weeks Kevin calls and says he needed to do a fret leveling. I can see that... Go ahead. Next day, frets are so uneven, there will not be much fret left after a leveling. I'm better off with a refret. I forgot to mention, seller said it was refretted once before. Ok, refret it.
    Kevin says wiring looks like it was done by a "3 years old".
    .......Ok.. re-use anything you can. Make it right.

Today I finally got the bass I always wanted.
    Kevin did a kick-a$$ job, for only very slightly over my budget.

Here are the results.

Stripped_zps8ba6c589.

Primered_zps04682862.

I originally wanted Fiesta Red. After seeing a bass here in a thread, I had to change to Candy Apple Red.
    CARNitro2_zps386335ce.

2013-10-22_18-13-49_319_zps49333cb0.

2013-10-22_18-19-34_841_zpsb00a20f7.

2013-10-22_18-19-13_425_zpse53af3d4.

2013-10-22_18-17-19_784_zpse9d2ce38.

I had a set of DR Legend flatwound strings laying around.
    I've never had a bass with a set of flats. We'll see how those pan out.
    Kevin did a fantastic job on the entire bass. It plays amazing!!
    As good as it looks.

This is the longest post on my entire time here on TB.
    Rarely do I get this excited about a bass.

2. With its siblings...

2007-01-01122754_zps7dd9e634.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful congrats

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Stunning results! I'm not much for red basses (even though I own one), but that is very, VERY, nice. Someday I want the same situation in a pre CBS natural jazz. Congratualtions!

5. That's a beaut! I love my '65, I'm sure you will too.

6. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    That Bass would look Killer with a Black pick guard

7. So I spent an hour playing this thing. Which in itself is amazing.
    Who knew... I LOVE the flats!!! Very responsive. My whole life, I've been a heavy-handed player. For the first time in my 31 years of playing bass, I did not find myself hammering on the strings.
    I don't know why.... But I liked it.
    The setup is just incredible.

This bass makes me feel like I did when I got my Gecko.
    I actually WANT to sit down and play.

I have a hot little red head waiting for me.......

8. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    That thing is beautiful! I recently refinished my P in Fiesta, but CAR was my next choice!

Congrats on NRBD (New Refinished Bass Day)!! :bassist: