NBD - '83 Peavey T-40 burst

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    amazingly this babe showed up a day early, glad I was home! I've never had a shipment make it from the East coast in 3 days, at any price, and after a week's delay in getting it off due to oversized cost hassles with the case and weight we decided to forgo the hamajanged case and extra expenses plus another month of waiting to just pop the neck off, compact everything, and it passed thru like a greased pig. had we done that from the start this would have been easy peasy like the old days before myriad shipping hells ruled each purchase.
    for sure, just the body alone... this thing is insane HEAVY!
    I'm still letting it all soak in as joy overcomes stress and anticipation, you know the drill...
    I've examined the parts to find it's all in even better cond. than I expected, minus a tiny chunk out of the rosewood board on the G side edge at the 5th fret and will now put it back together and see what happens. I'm expecting big things from this monster, and that chunk can be filled and smoothed away imperceptibly if it's an issue. pretty stoked so far.
    I'd been after a different Peavey altogether but again, $200 in shipping just won't do, so I'll try asap on that one in the future, but it gave the 40 it's chance. then it was a choice between it and a Curbow 5 str. which had been seriously flirting with me, I didn't want to lose either but in the end I sacrificed the Curbow and it went quickly to someone else just as the 40 would have gone cos a bunch of global calls came in for it as soon as I secured it. the sweet n sour, the yin and yang, this is a bittersweet episode but the Peavey has been a bucket list item and the Curbow 51 an iffy proposition since it would have been my first fiver. so I'm just gonna go with being thrilled to have the big brother to my T-20 FL and ignore the guilt of first world problems and towards those who wanted this one. the shocker is that it sat on the net for a month with no interest, and usually the primo examples don't sit around at $400, if it had a maple board* I think the story would be much different and I'd probably own the Curbow now.
    *looking for maple boards for both the 40 and 20 if anyone has those necks for sale.
    I've posted these pix in other threads but now it's home and all mine.

upload_2018-3-7_13-44-0.png

upload_2018-3-7_13-44-34.png

upload_2018-3-7_13-45-17.png

B-Mac, mb94952, deeptubes and 42 others like this.
  2. Congrats on your new baby. May it serve you well.

I've never owned a T40 but have played a few and regard them as one of the most versatile passive basses ever built. There's an awful lot that can be done with them, and ones with RW boards have always been my strong preference.

With that being said, hope your back and shoulders are in better shape than mine - which is not a difficult task to accomplish - and likely the main reason why I don't own a T40 myself.

Play it in good health and enjoy.

Bass V likes this.
  3. Sweet!
    The grain on the front i salmost a tiger stripe.

Bass V likes this.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Great looking T-40, Congrats!

Bass V likes this.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    much appreciated, and thanx to all regarding this big boy. should it ever make it to the stage I'll be toting a comfy recliner couch and my Bassling invention with me so weight and neck dive will never be an issue! my T-20 is featherweight compared to this hulk, now I honestly can't conceive how anyone but Paul Bunyun has ever gotten on with one, and I'm no shrimp! I've been on a small body binge of late so that's been countermanded in a major way. I'm cleaning and tightening everything right now, then on go the neck and strings. whoever owned it played it a bunch but took pretty good care, minimal dingage, and as the pics show they got a bit carried away cleaning the pickguard, but not overly, maybe a touch of baby oil will minimize that appearance. or any other idea on that?

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    been chiseling out some significant finish glop covering and past the tilt wheel, not sure the wheel could or ever did move but it's clean and clear, and everything is level now ...hope I didn't commit the classic cardinal sin but I'm a pocket fanatic and want the best connection possible there. there was a real pile of it, like extra pancake syrup! I'll ask the Peavey Club but has anyone heard of this excessive gloopiness?

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    1st good news is there's no dead spots jumping out so far...whew!
    lowered the action to med low and no fret issues yet, still some travel left on the G, plenty more on the rest.
    dropped the bridge PU a bunch to match the neck and now each string rings evenly.
    still figuring the wiring layout and if it all works, not sure of the neck tone knob, there's minimal reaction so far.
    it packs a punch, and with round wounds it has plenty of mid sproing, we'll see if I can find sounds I like.
    odd paint-like flecks on the back I thot were chips are slowly coming off, so the finish will be even better looking.
    we'll see what the next verdict is in the morning after it's settled in.
    say g'nite, Gracie

tpaul likes this.
  8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My fav setup is the bridge pup in humbucker and the neck in single coil mode, YMMV.

9. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congrats! Awesome bass.

Bass V likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That grain is fantastic!

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

pretty cool bass you've scored there! it looks like it has been loved. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Bass V likes this.
  12. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player

Mar 14, 2011
    Lovely example! Congratulations.

Bass V likes this.
  13. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Very nice, love the look of it...but why no Tort PG?!?!?! :smug: Kidding.

Bass V likes this.
  14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    1983! A great year.

I have an 82. Weighs probably around 12-13lbs. My wife's only comment was "that looks sturdy". Such nice instruments. Yours is especially pretty and unique with the burst and rosewood. Great find.

Waytootrue and Bass V like this.
  15. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    SWEET BASS!

Bass V likes this.
  16. Congrats they are a very versatile basses

Bass V likes this.
  17. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thanx, I hope so!
    here's my morning update...
    thank you, gentlemen!
    looks like this is going to take some string experimentation to find the low end I expected to be in abundance.
    LaBella Deeps are probably first up. I tune to drop D.
    the hated phase switch; as expected, it comes in handy for playing in the apt. where I need to limit the low end yet still sound decent, and with headphones as well. I do get nice bottom thru the 'phones (when I crank the bass knobs) which tells me it must be there and my amps just aren't responding as usual with this circuitry.
    seems we got us a work in progress.

btw, do they make mirrored replacement pickguards? :p hmmm, it might actually be cool on a nat. finish.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  18. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    @Bass V .....Congrats on the score. Fine looking example you have. If you're thinking about tort, here's a sunburst/rosewood I converted to 5 string. It has a custom tort PG made so the pickups mount to it. No rings. T-40 FIVE sunburst CA H.jpg

mb94952, JEDI BASS, Swerve and 5 others like this.
  19. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    One of the sexiest finishes I've seen in a while. That burst/grain combo is gorgeous.
    Always heard great stuff about T-40's and their versatility. Congrats!

Bass V likes this.
  20. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    I had one of those beasts back in the day! lets just say I'm sure glad it wasn't sold by the pound! Nice Bass thou congrats! By the way I still have the original T40 case if you need it or are interested in it just shoot me a private email .

Bass V likes this.