1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: 94 Fender Squier Series P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Aug 6, 2019.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Swooped up this ‘94 Fender Squier Series Precision Bass today! Saw the ad on Craigslist and just about reflexively asked about availability. When they promptly got back saying it was still available, I was out the door! Paid the full asking price of $225, but man I tell ya this thing is in good shape for being 25. Only a few light dents, a few scratches on the body but no real ugliness. It’s not of the same quality as my 06 MIM P bass; there’s big gaps on the side of the neck, the body overhangs the neck heel a little on the treble side, and the body isn’t as rounded, but it sounds good! The issues are nothing I can notice while playing it, either. The neck on this bass feels really nice. Since I swapped the 06’s pickup with a vintage voiced AlNiCo one, it’s nice to have a modern sounding bass again. I bought it intending to flip it, but I might just sit on it for a while. For the money I paid, it’s even kinda tempting to use this as a parts donor, idk...what I do know, This thing is cool! E8DA4F96-8EBD-4D4F-8180-30C0ACA62012.jpeg 8EADB8BB-3E7E-40AF-BDC9-A114461257A1.jpeg 6A8C7877-F2AF-46FC-B255-60CC7E87E645.jpeg 892D7D37-FD66-4EFE-8872-53377E98C7BA.jpeg B3A71A7C-E652-4194-B6CB-757C6800DF82.jpeg

2. Sweet! This same bass (Squier series, 94, red) is up for sale near me! I've been eyeing it. Started at 400, dropped to 300, which still seems over priced to me. Maybe if I offer 225.....

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  3. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Yeah, at $300ish I’d Probably opt for a new Squier CV p bass.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  4. My running plan had been get a Squier P and put on a MIM Fender Jazz neck. But now I'm thinking I'll just wait for a MIM P and keep it stock. (My local shop has a 2000-something in black that is really tempting. 475 I think they priced it at. Flats n all!) I also want a new amp... Decisions, decisions!

Ok, back to the NBD!

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Yeah, doing the MIM/squier partscaster route can get a little hairy as somethings aren’t perfectly interchangeable. $475 still seems a bit high for a mim standard. I only paid $280 for black one pictured in the OP.

6. Agreed. Plan A is adapt to the P neck; plan B is swap for another MIM J neck. I see them on CL/FB for 300-400 from time to time. So I know it's high, but it was nice to test drive at the shop, without being a serious buyer. Compared to the Player basses, I like how the older Standard felt broken in.

Ok, for real... back to the NBD!

7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    My first bass ever was a ‘94 Squier Series P just like yours. Congrats!
    2D6A98A5-4A49-4CA8-BF15-E1C6DE8AAB20.jpeg

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  8. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Little tone demo
    (I need to practice w/ a metronome, I know)

9. Nice! Sounds great. What’s the amp?

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  10. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    It’s a Hartke kickback 12, swapped out the speaker about a year ago with a cheapo ~$40 car subwoofer because I blew the original aluminum speaker.