1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: (accidentally) Birth Year Bogart

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M-rek, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Hey there!
    So, I was very intrigued by the headless bass design for quite a while now. Until now I was more of a traditional P-Bass and Stingray guy, but I thought my next bass has to be something different!
    So I stumbled upon this baby...
    83B8C705-7589-4252-AE71-8B61648B2E74. 23569AEA-9984-4F6D-85EB-F7F40B055D2C.
    A completely headless (not the semi-kinda-headless thing) Bogart Blackstone 5!
    It has two Bartolini J-style singlecoils and a Noll BB2 preamp (which are no longer made I think), and the Blackstone composite body with a very cool cloud-style finish. The seller told me he was the first owner and it was made around 1997. Also, it‘s 35“ scale (he said).

What should I say, I bought it for €1200 and it arrived the next day. I fiddled a little with it and noticed that the intonation was totally off (almost a half step sharp on all strings), while the saddles were set all the way back already.
    I decided to contact Stefan Heß, who made/makes the Bogart basses, via a German bassist forum. He was very helpful and answered within 2 hours on a Friday morning. He actually recognised the bass as one of the very first Bogarts he ever made! He told me it should be a 36“ scale (which I checked and confirmed), and it‘s one of about 10 headless 5-string Blackstone basses with 36“ scale he ever made and it‘s actually from 1993.
    That makes it a birth year bass in hindsight for me! Yay :hyper: Even better: It‘s made in 1993 - just like me; and it‘s made in Germany - just like me :cool:

He recognized it because of the hardware used on the bass.
    FB34A733-2C60-4611-A10A-75B1F0FC9D64. The bridge is made by ABM which he used for those basses only in 1993. He changed it to ETS hardware later.
    Also, the neck is a Clover Slapper neck, because he didn‘t have the tools back in the day for sculpting the necks that were later used specifically for the Blackstones.
    So yea, I initially really like the bass for sound, playability, looks and all that. But now I like it even more as it is like a piece of history of the Bogart basses company.

BTW, I solved the intonation problem I mentioned. I loosened the strings and saddle screws and just reversed all the saddles so that the grub screws face towards the bridge. This fixed the intonation problem for me. I first thought about ordering a new ETS bridge from Stefan, but that would take about 3 months to deliver, would cost like 300€ and I‘d have to fill the hole on the body as the ABM bridge is sunk into the body. So that was an easy and economical fix :)

Oh, and I already ‘modded‘ it :woot:
    70B16C5A-29F7-4CC8-8504-93F2A11A5556. 5BC0B2E6-6E7F-4B85-B252-E590A5607B25.
    Saw this on another Bogart bass on youtube. The ramp, not the sticker... I took some measurements and was lucky to find a piece of plexiglass that was just as thick as the pickups are high. A little sawing and sanding and it fits pretty well - it‘s held in place by the pickups.

So, what‘s more to add? Dunno, I‘m a happy camper :D I put all my other (4-string-)basses into their cases and bags and I‘m gonna play this beast exclusively for some time to really get used to it‘s feel - and the additional string.

Thanks for reading! Rock on :bassist:

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    Congrats!
    It's cheaper when you're a kid, my birth year bass would be a little more pricey ;-)

Wanker_Joe, bholder and ArthurNemko like this.
  3. Thanks! Yea, I guess that‘s the advantage of being a youngling ;)

Torrente Cro likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You got that right, the first batch of P basses are only a few months older than me.

Torrente Cro likes this.
  5. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I was born during CBS-era (1971), maybe I could get a discount regarding a bad QC. Maybe that answers some personal issues that I bugged my psychotherapist with?