1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD...but it's gonna wait till Xmas!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kijuer, Sep 5, 2020.

1. The day has come. I purchased this back in February just before the covid thing, and I had already planned some refinish work with my luthier to give my wife her dream bass. Unfortunately things got halted so it could not be completed in time for her birthday in June. I picked it up this morning. Holy cow, I think it's gorgeous! Didn't expect the satin finish to be so outstanding in first person! The pickguard is an experiment instead: it's a thermoadhesive wrap with a dark brushed aluminium texture. Not printed. You can "touch it", amazing. Let's see how long it lasts.
    We also replaced the original strap locks with the recessed Dunlop Flush Mount (black of course). I had a pair of black dome knobs at home and I tried swapping them but I think the original chrome ones are more "elegant".
    I love the low B BTW (my wife isn't home so I tested it a little!), very good definition.

I was thinking of replacing the screws with black ones...

So, the next obvious thing I thought was to hide it until Xmas, but her band is resuming live duties in two weeks. I don't know what to do LOL!

IMG_20200905_113309.jpg IMG_20200905_100840.jpg IMG_20200905_113248.jpg

2. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Today is Xmas, Unleash this beast

tindrum and Ruknrole like this.
  3. Ruknrole

Ruknrole Professional Amateur Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Christmas in September sounds about right.

4. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Give it to her as a Labor Day gift.

Great job on the finish.

5. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    It looks great. Life is short and gifts don’t need a holiday or reason. Give it to her now! :thumbsup:

6. LOL couldn't resist. Gave it to her this afternoon, she couldn't believe it. Super-happy wife, yay!

3aifaypg.jpeg 5gK5tYxw.jpeg twQaAoUg.jpeg

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Beautiful!

Now you can really splurge on her for Xmas with a stealth B-string retainer. "Honey, after all we've been through this year, I wanted this Christmas to be special. So I bypassed the pearls...the gold...the diamonds...and got you chrome!"

stealthb.jpg

tommyr01 likes this.
  8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    It's 5:00 somewhere.
    It's Christmas somewhere.
    You don't need a date on the calendar to give a gift.

9. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Love the pickguard, reminiscent of the old G&L crinkle finish.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021