1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: CLF Research (G&L) L-1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lildrgn, Feb 8, 2019.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I picked up my brand new CLF Research L-1000 today. Here are some things I've noticed so far:
    • The width at the nut is 1 5/8" and the neck profile seems thinner than what I'm used to. So a wider neck with a thinner profile. It feels like a platform for my fingers and I sort of like it. My SB-2 and Decade are both 1.5" (jazz width) at the nut and it's what I'm used to so playing the wider neck will be interesting.
    • The neck appears to be straight and true with the eye test. The action is a little low so I may raise the saddles a little to mitigate that.
    • The toggle switch is reminiscent of the switch I had on my old Sterling. I think I'll have it in OMG (bass boost) mode most of the time, but it will take some tweaking on the Trace to see what works best.
    • I haven't weighed it but the seller said it's a 9 pounder. The hand test feels like it's lighter than the SB-2 but not as light as the Decade.
    • I'll have to break in the strings. They're a little zingy now. Bonus score: The Bass Place sent a set of Fender strings in the case too!
    • Though all the US basses (except the JBs) have them, I love the look of the 6 bolt neck. No one will see it as it's on the back of the bass, but I love how it looks.
    • Speaking of looks, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chrome control plate. Some of the L1Ks out there have no control plate and look naked to me.
    Thanks to the G&L Club Part 7 for putting up with my posts about shipping delays and climate control. I wrote a bunch more boring stuff about my journey to getting the bass here if you're interested.

Here's a few pics. IMG_20190208_123018. IMG_20190208_135235. IMG_20190208_161119. IMG_20190208_161127.

Nedmundo, dagrev, Lammchop93 and 32 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Awesome looking bass!!!!!!

(You need to clean your room before you play it for one more second, young man!)

:wacky:

3. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Beautiful! Congratulations.

I’m surprised we don’t see more of these popping up here on TB. Read the long story....

Do these have the skunk stripe on the back of the necks? I love the feel of these, that flatness...hope they’re true to the originals.

4. Newbilong

Newbilong

Aug 14, 2018
    Beautiful beautiful machine. I hope you enjoy it.

lildrgn likes this.
  5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    No skunk stripe. :D

6. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Man, that gold is sump'n special. Too bad they don't offer it as a standard finish.

lildrgn and cataract like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Now that it's been acclimatized, you have plugged it in and played it, right?

lildrgn likes this.
  8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Thank you for sharing your detailed assessment.

Love the look....big improvement on the modern G&L style

lildrgn likes this.
  9. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    You just inspired me on how to waste a weekend ;)
    It was like giving an apple to Adam, my G&L suddenly realized it was naked all it's life.
    IMG_20190209_173914.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I fell in LOVE with the gold and rosewood. Something about it...

YES! A good amount. Mainly through my old Peavey Basic 40 or headphones, but trying to get the feel and setup dialed in. As well, it's a 1 5/8" nut, which makes a difference from the 1 1/2" I'm used to. But it's a cool change. That, along with the thinner neck profile, make for a different playing experience.

I also noticed that there was some weird chorus-ey sound above the 12th fret on the E and A strings. Another thread poster said it may be the pickup being too close to the strings, so I've lowered it and will try again after breakfast.

As much as I love how a bass sounds, I'm almost just as excited as how it can look. I LOVE my SB-2 and am LOVING this L1K. The Pharaoh Gold is incredible in person, not quite the dramatic metal flake, but similar to the metallic finish on cars - you know the type; it sparkles when the sun hits it. Gorgeous.

Ha, going for the control plate! But what is the thing next to your bridge?

Torrente Cro and jd56hawk like this.
  11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Very Nice!! Love the color too!!:thumbsup: 9B9B552D-0B05-4A38-9A3E-9E89423EABEC.
    I had the real deal here till I sold it...

murphy and lildrgn like this.
  12. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
  13. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Ha for sure. I took the pic and realized what a pigsty it was. Such is the life of a man cave/rec room. But yes, gonna pick it up a bit. :D I was too excited to share my joy with y'all.

two fingers and Torrente Cro like this.
  14. What a beauty, congrats!

15. txdahaley

txdahaley

Nov 14, 2018
    Texas
    I love G&L. Also, don't listen to anyone about that room! A little mess goes a long way to annoy singers and guitar players alike. It's what we do.

16. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA

TonyP- likes this.
  17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Messy rooms have better acoustical properties - they disrupt standing waves, kill reflections, and add a rock and roll edge to the tone.

PS - beautiful bass

Ellery and lildrgn like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

too cool! very nice looking ax...and i'm sure it whips any fender contender. :D congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

19. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I’ve had my eye on one of these! Can’t wait to hear how you like it! Congrats!

lildrgn and BassGreaser like this.
  20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I love the L1000 so much.

lildrgn likes this.