1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Fender 5 String Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crusher47, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Added a 2nd. 5 string bass to the arsenal and you know I loves me my Fender Jazz basses so this was the logical choice... on to the pics:

Outer box...
    pJ4tHHS.

Noticed they started adding this "warning" now...
    ry5Jvaf.

Ahh, Fender goodness...
    KBNQ6kz.

Unboxed with "protective" wrapping...
    g1TjjSj.

And out in the open...
    UA8iyHB.

2. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Few more pics. & close-ups...
    2ITGDKs.

Body close-up... Yes, it needs a tort pickguard but the white doesn't look half bad...
    brn0v3g.

Neck closeup - Not many people like the Pau Ferro but I do, this one has interesting grain/figuring...
    H9xuace.

Headstock....
    QkVzQ4r.

Back-side...
    YK38BBx.

3. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Looks nice, is that the new players series?

Crusher47 likes this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Nothing at all wrong with that! When i bought my first bass in 98' it was a MIK Squier Jazz, sunburst with a white guard. I always wanted to replace it with tort, but now i wouldn't touch it!

Crusher47 likes this.
  5. Border

Border

Dec 31, 2010
    Spokane, Wa.
    Congratulations on your gorgeous new bass! I have a 5 string Jazz that I love to play. They are great instruments. I hope you get years of enjoyment out of your new bass.

Crusher47 likes this.
  6. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Congratulations. I have the same body color in a 2010 model. I really like the 4+1 tuners rather than 5-inline.

As far as pickguards go, I went for black as tort doesn't do anything for me. Below you can see what a black PG will look like.

Edit: Here is a link for good yet inexpensive pickguards. $13... Was an exact match. They have other colors including tort- same price. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Guitar-Pickguard-String-Black/dp/B00XUWUAVE

Bass_PG_comparison_sm.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    craigie, Wisebass and Crusher47 like this.
  7. raphaeld

raphaeld

Sep 19, 2012
    Israel
    Congrats, she's beautiful!!

Always wondered how is the B string on the Fenders. Heard few times that it could be floppy sometimes

Crusher47 likes this.
  8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I've an earlier version of the exact same guitar. No flop with DR Pure Blues 45-130's. I played it out last night and wasn't at all shy about playing the low B, even up on 7th or 8th fret. Lower notes solid too. Timbre was very consistent and made the fingering very convenient. Also these Fender 5's have a 9.5" radius fingerboard.

Crusher47 likes this.
  9. Crusher47

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks everyone!

10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Crusher47 :)

Fixed that one for you. :D

Happy NBD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper: Rock her well!

Black! (fits better into your collection and will look better with your bike too :laugh: IMO)

Wise(b)ass

Crusher47 and JRA like this.
  11. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    nice ...black or white PG for me and 70/30 on the black ....IM-friendly-HO

12. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

White looks good! I always come home to Fender or Fender style. Hard to beat. Enjoy your 5, it's a nice one.

13. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Very nice!! That's a beauty!! Hope you have many great years of music together!!

14. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I had debated keeping the white. But I took a chance on the black for $13 (the Fender brand ones are $30) and love it. I think the black lets the burst be the "shining star" where as the white pickguard is the focal point the eye is drawn to. For ease of comparison I've added the tort. It should be noted that my bass also has silver knobs because I've upgraded the "innards" and it has an Audere preamp. I'm still most fond of the black. The tort isn't bad, but a little busy and the red in it is doing it's own thing.

Bass_PG_comparison_sm.

Wisebass and craigie like this.
  15. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Springfield, OR
    Sweet...classic Jazz fiver...congratulations!!!

16. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    No candies?

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

that ax looks more than ready! very nice. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Wisebass likes this.
  18. Very nice. Enjoy.

19. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    Very nice bass. Congrats!

... and ... not to take away from the NBD festivity by no means... I'm a little bit shocked by the packaging... Am I seeing this right? It basically came in two cardboard boxes (one Fender, one Sweetwater) and a Polyurethane bag... Wow!

20. Thanks for posting the pics... I've been trying to decide between a black pickguard or a white one on a tobacco burst bass. I believe I like the black one best.To the OP,congrats...hope you get many years of enjoyment from your bass.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018