1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD - Gold Tone MicroBass Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Sep 5, 2016.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Found this used in the local classifieds yesterday. It's a Gold Tone MicroBass fretless model. I was a little afraid of the fretless model but there were no used fretted models used available that I could find and the buyer offered me a great deal so I took a chance.
    I've been playing it today out on the deck for most of the afternoon and have fallen absolutely in love with this little thing. The fretless is amazingly easy to play, to the point where I am actually thinking of using it for an acoustic/electric gig next week instead of my Guild B-30. The tone is, as many have described with bass ukes, very reminiscent of an upright bass.
    One cool thing. It was advertised as a 23" scale and I bought it as such, but after playing it for several hours I looked into the soundhole and discovered it is actually a 25" scale model. This is one time where I didn't get what was advertised and I'm happy about it! :)

Microbass.jpg

2. If my Kala had a 25 inch scale, I'd probably still have it

moonshinegtrs and MakoMan like this.
  3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I tried the Kala bass ukes as well and while I loved the tone, I had a lot of trouble with the short scale. I had a choice between a used U-bass fretless and this one for the same price and after trying them both it was a pretty easy decision to go with the MicroBass. If I could have found a used fretted I would have definitely gone with that, but having played this one all day today I am actually glad I bought the fretless.

4. I think your better off with the fretless. I had a fretted one that had intonation issues, and it's next to impossible to correct. At least with the fretless you can adjust your fingering a bit to correct it if it's off. I have a fretless Kala that the intonation is spot on and I find the fretless shorties very easy to play accurately. Nice score!

MakoMan likes this.
  5. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I have the fretted 23" scale, my first bass, which I love. I looked at the Kala U-bass and didn't like the configuration. I also didn't like the sticky Aquila Thundergut strings that came with the Gold Tone so I changed them to Road Toad Pahoehoe, much smoother and warmer sound, though they do take much longer to settle in. I also replaced the original preamp with one I ordered from China, which faces me as I'm playing rather to the side.

GT Micro black Pahoehoe 700.jpg

6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks! I'm finding the fretless a lot fo fun to play and am very happy I got over the fear and gave it a shot. Now I just have to remember to play BETWEEN the frets on my regular basses! :)

1stnamebassist likes this.
  7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Very interesting preamp swap. Also appreciate the information on the strings. I have a feeling I'm going to need some, as the G string shows signs of having been tuned without being lifted. I'm keeping an eye on it for now.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  8. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'd love to know how the acoustic (unamplified) volume of the 25"-scale GT MicroBass compares to the 23"-scale model.

9. Recoil

Recoil

Mar 24, 2012
    I'm going to purchase a ME bass and I'm going back and forth between the fretless & the fretted. I don't have a Gold tone dealer in my area so I can't try one out. Any thoughts?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021