1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Grove 51 P5 Butterscotch Blond

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slaerts, Oct 18, 2013.

1. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    I originally ordered a Kala u-bass style build from Scott but we ran into complications. So we changed tack. I had some gas for a simplified bass for worship. Something passive, fewest knobs and switches possible. I liked the look of the 51 P bass re-issues I'd seen but also wanted something with 5 strings.

In the end we settled on a 51 P bass with 5 strings. I liked the butterscotch colouring and couldn't decide between the solid colour of the originals or the transparent colours of the more modern re-issues. In the end we went with solid edges and bursting to transparent to show off what ended up being some lovely grains in the ash.

The ash was a one piece billet. Scott took the top off, cut some chambers and glued the same top on. The solid paint at the edges hides any join marks up perfectly too.

I do think this will look great with some black strings once the originals start to die off.

The bass feels great and certainly looks great to me. The sound is amazing! The single coil pickup is a bit unusual. I had trouble getting something to fit with the narrower string spacing I like and I wanted reduced single-coil hum. Scott talked to Lindy Fralin who agreed to do a custom 3/2 split on the 5 string pickup. He suggested it would reduce the hum by 66%. Well I haven't heard any hum at all and this pickup is big, clear and punchy.

So happy with it and Scott at Grove guitars was amazing to deal with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Looks like an awesome bass. I dig the new meets old with Fralin/high mass bridge on a classic body. Well done.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    what a beauty!!!!!

even has the right number of strings!

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    That is the best Butterscotch finish I have seen. It's cool that Lindy was willing to custom make a pickup for you. I had one of his four-string split-coil pickups which was excellent. What is the string spacing you ended up with on this one? I can't tell from the pics - do you know where the 'split' is?

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice bass. Congrats!

7. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks guys, I love the colour its a nice creamy butterscotch not just another version of yellow. The pics don't really to do the colour justice.

The string spacing is quite narrow ( I like narrow spacing), my custom 6 string is about 16.5 mm and I wanted to get close to that. I believe we settled on 17 or 17.5 spacing.

I'm guessing only Lindy Fralin knows which is the odd man out in the 3/2 split coils. I didn't even think to ask. The pickup was a bit of a joint effort between Fralin and Scott. Scott had to make the bobbins so the spacing would fit.

8. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Scott is one of the best guys I've ever dealt with. Friendly, knowledgeable, creative, and best information/follow up on your build, bar none. We used to e-mail back and forth 2-3 times a day! I don't know how he manages to do it, but he's the best. There's another Grove (or two) in my future, for sure. Your bass is a beauty, BTW.

9. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Scott was great. He was so willing to try anything unusual and was totally open to try any odd ideas I had but also gave good advice. He strikes a good balance in the process of helping someone decide exactly what they want.

10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Oh my…

Congrats and all, but you caused me some pain right now, I just want you to know that.

:)

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Wow! :eek: What an incredible bass. Grove is now on my radar.

12. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Love it!! Congrats!!

13. ScottSmail

ScottSmail Commercial User

Apr 29, 2013
    Lebanon, OH
    Builder: Grove Basses
    Ken, The pickup is split (BEA)(DG). Nigel wanted a custom spacing which Lindy was not set up for, so I hand made the bobbins. The bridge is a 17mm which required a slightly smaller pole spacing to get the strings right over the poles. Lindy chose appropriate pole heights for our fingerboard radius. It sounds just like a Fralin '51P split coil with an extra B. Here is a pic..

Attached Files:

14. that is sweet!

15. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That! is a sweet bass...congrats!

16. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Had for a few weeks now, still loving it! Thanks, Scott, great job.

17. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    A bit more feedback. I played this last week for a praise and worship set. Drums, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, piano and 2 vocalists with congregational singing. This thing sat perfectly in the mix. It wouldn't be out of place playing straight up and down rock either. Scott at Grove Guitars absolutely delivered the goods on this instrument.

Timmy-Watts likes this.