1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NBD - Hofner 500/1 v58

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tristan Wright, Apr 24, 2020.

1. -NBD-

Just picked this up from the post office. Only been playing it for about 45 minutes, but this thing is incredible! Definitely has a chunkier neck than my buddy’s ignition. With that being said, it is still super easy to get around the fretboard. The resonance unplugged is way louder than expected! Need a little more time with it to do a full review, haven’t been able to plug into an amp. This was b-stock with a couple of factory finish blems, but they are almost invisible to the naked eye. Anyone know anything about the ‘2’ on the back of the headstock? Will update this post when I get some more hours with it under my belt!

Attached Files:

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That’s a beauty! Nice flame maple on the back. Is that control layout and plate new? Haven’t seen that yet. Not the most varied tonal range out there, but they do Thump better than almost anything, and the short scale and skinny necks makes them easy to play for guys like me with small-ish hands. My son has a Jay Turser clone that’s a blast to noodle on. If you don’t mind my asking, what’s the street price on that bass?

leftybass54 and Tristan Wright like this.
  3. Thank you! MSRP from Hofner was $3295, but I ended up trading a Ric 4003 + a little cash. The control layout is specific to the v58 models as far as I know. It is kinda nice to not have to fumble around with switches!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  4. Just found this one up on reverb

Hofner 500/1 V58 Violin Beatle Bass Natural
    Hofner 500/1 V58 Violin Beatle Bass Natural | Rock N Roll Vintage | Reverb

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  5. Update: after a few days I am absolutely in love with the neck profile. It definitely inspires you to play it a certain way. Tone from the pickups is super punchy! Also has some interesting characteristics when used with overdrive/fuzz. Don’t see myself playing another bass for quite some time!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021