1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Ibanez AFB200 White

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msact, Oct 12, 2013.

1. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    I took a day off yesterday to unwind a bit and wandered down to my local GC. I saw this hanging on the wall and thought it was so darn cool, I just couldn't pass it up. They said they just got it on Thursday so I figured I better snap it up before it got beaten to all heck. This is my first hollow-body and my first short scale bass. Even better, they gave me their 15% off Columbus day coupon.

Attached Files:

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Very nice. There is no mention of any white ones on their website, must be one of those GC/MF specials. So much nicer than the red -- white and gold is a good combo.

Got any flatwounds on it yet? ;)

-Alex

3. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    No flatwounds yet. I just got it today so I am not sure what would fit. The folks at GC told me it was a special run for them. I love the look of it, much more so than the red. It plays and sounds really nice too.

4. mfbolton

mfbolton Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Very cool. Congrats! I am sure D'Addario makes a short scale set of their Chromes Flatwounds.

5. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Thanks. I appreciate the info. I had the feeling that I would need regular length strings because the distance from the tail to the headstock is similar to my 34" basses.

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you measure it Bass Strings Online has length specs for all their strings. Best place to buy strings.

7. leftiebass

leftiebass

Oct 17, 2009
    What was final price if you don't mind?

8. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    $599 but I got an additional 15% off. So that comes to $509. I don't really have a base of comparison as this is my first hollow body but I really like it.

9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I have an AGB200, the "Beatle Bass" variety of Pyramid flats are a perfect fit. So medium scale is what you will probably need with that tailpiece.

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Looks great. Congrats on your new bass and thanks for sharing.

11. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Since I probably will never be able to afford a Gretsch "White Falcon" in this lifetime, I always am interested in seeing WHITE semi-hollowbody basses. This one is just beautiful. I remember being disappointed that Ibanez did not list one of their "Artcore" basses in white. If this is a new "GC-only" model, I guess I'll have to find out if my closest Guitar Center (100 miles away in Shreveport) is going to get any.

If I do snag one, I'll probably be putting Fender 9050CL SS flats on it. I've had very good results with these strings on all the basses I've used them on so far.

Congrats on your NBD!

12. I thought that only Defil brand used plastic bass tuners. What a discover. Thanks mate !

13. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Beautiful bass. I love my brown sunburst AFB200. Enjoy!

14. I just picked up the same bass ($350 on clearance)
    Curious if anyone has played one with flats on it and how they like the sound/tone with them.

Really happy with the bass thus far.

15. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    That's a great price. Congrats!

I still have the stock strings on mine. I honestly do not care for flats. I have always had difficultly adjusting to both the sound and the feel. Maybe I haven't tried the right brand yet, but flats always feel very stiff to me.

16. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    juststrings_2268_25429125.

If you haven't already tried the Fender 9050 SS flats, I highly recommend them. They were the first flats I tried, and they were a revelation to me. I now have them on almost all of my basses. Feel, Tone, Price, Durability...what's not to like?

The only thing you need to decide on is which gauge is right for you. I liked the Custom Lights (NLA), and am now using Medium Lights.

17. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Thanks for the advice. My local GC only carries one brand of flats. Most of the time now I order through amazon as I get free two day shipping. I will look into those strings further.

18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have a sunburst AFB200. I have La Bella 760FS medium scale flats on it, and it sounds great.

Rounds and halfwounds also work fine.

Medium scale strings fit these best, although I have had long scale DR rounds on it and they worked. You just have to be careful that the string will go into the tuning post, and also not wrap the fat part way up on the post itself.

Smokey Lynx likes this.