NBD - Jazz flame top blue burst

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elillywv, Dec 6, 2021.

1. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Had been watching this one for awhile… last week’s price drop at GC created a GAS attack that wouldn’t be denied!

Other than grimy tuners (with the D tuner missing a screw, and the G with stripped screw head top right of tuner), this seems to be a great bass for the price! (Serial truncated...) 1 - 20211206 Jazz flame top blue burst.jpg 6 - 20211206 Jazz flame top blue burst.jpg 12 - 20211206 Jazz flame top blue burst.jpg

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Beautiful. I'm a P-bass guy but I'd gig that all year long.

Congrats.

3. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Thanks, P. ! I know what you mean...

I bought that '76 P (in the rear of my avatar pic) new in '77, and never seriously thought about another bass! Now... 3 new Fenders since 2019. Life's too short to not enjoy beautiful things!

Tari and Clark W like this.
  4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    The flame on yours looks better than the stock photo on guitar center's site

tindrum likes this.
  5. I absolutely love these! :drool:
    Congratulations !!!

6. Nice top in that one! Sweet!

Congrats!

7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I have one of the early ones. They are wonderful basses. Congrats!

BCD6E671-0F32-4AB1-89F0-DF89B7208646.jpeg

Smooth_bass88 and Clark W like this.
  8. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Thank you!

I was a little concerned that it could be the one pictured on GC’s site, or a similar demo or used bass, as their ad copy didn’t explicitly say either!

Was very happy to open a brand new version!

9. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Thanks!

Extra special bonus? My wife loves the look of it, too!

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  10. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Thank you! It is hard to stop looking at; equally hard to stop playing it!

Clark W and musicman556 like this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

;)

that's a beautiful ax, @elillywv! very nice --- congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

12. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Yours is gorgeous! Congrats to you, too!

Any idea what pups they put in them? I can’t seem to find any info… the flame top seems a bit more mid-rangey and a little more growly that the 2018 MIM Player I got 2 years ago. Not a bad thing… by any means!

Clark W likes this.
  13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Mine came with Player Series Alnico V pickups. Not sure if the newer ones have the same pickups or not.

elillywv likes this.
  14. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Thank you!

I’d been looking hard at a few Arctic white/maple neck Ps on Reverb lately, and had finally put that GAS behind me.

Then the GC enticer email shows up, and BANG!, a relapse of GAS worse than the previous bout!

JRA likes this.
  15. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I’d like to share some somewhat interesting info I acquired on this model. Take it all with a grain of salt since I have NO documentation on what I’m about to share. The info comes from a Fender sales rep and a GC store manager. Both guys are friends of mine and shared this info with me at different times.

According to them, there were two runs of these basses. In late 2020, Fender made a limited batch of them as part of the 75th anniversary promotion. If I understand correctly, most went to the European market and only a handful were sold in the States. This first batch used maple tops that had quite a bit of quilting in them. The basses sold enormously well, so Fender decided to make a second, larger run of them in early summer 2021. The only real difference between this run and the first run is that the tops had more flame and less quilt. This isn’t a better/worse thing; it’s just a difference in appearance. The guys know of no other differences that they told me about.

16. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    @Warpeg, your post about this from March ‘21 was a thread that I read in doing quick research last week… the info you shared helped me decide to not walk away from this bass!

With that, I thank you for helping me add to the stable! (Or if my wife didn’t like it, I could’ve blamed you! LOL)

Warpeg likes this.
  17. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I've been playing mine all night. Yeah I broke down and got one. All I can say is wow. It's a whole different world from my P and my P/J. I like it, a lot.

elillywv likes this.
  18. elillywv

elillywv

Aug 3, 2020
    Hurricane, WV
    Congrats on getting this beauty! It’s not surprising that this beguiling charmer has worked its magic on another bassist! Hope you enjoy it half as much as I have mine!

Clark W likes this.
  19. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I have seen a handful that were 70s styled (70s pickup spacing and binding/blocks).

Were those part of that European run mentioned?

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Those were japanese miki gakki exclusives

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022