NBD: Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    A couple months ago, I was trying to decide (here) between a Fender American Performer Precision and a Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom. Wanted a passive PJ, love blue basses, and heard good things about both. They were both around the same ballpark price-wise.

Years ago at a GTG I had played a Lakland Hollowbody and it was one of the best basses I've ever played. Since then I've been GASing for a Lakland. I didn't have the funds for a new one of either, so I was watching the used markets. I Fender came across my Facebook Marketplace in my price range. I didn't think a Lakland was gonna show since they seemed rather low production, so I jumped on it (here)

Then lo and behold, the 44-64 I wanted showed up on TB with a case in immaculate for a great price. So I jumped on that too.

I love the Fender, but I am completely blown away by the Lakland. I haven't wanted to pick up any of my other basses since I got it. Now in agreement with the wife, I have to sell one, and it's the Fender.

The plus side of having both at my disposal, I'm going to make a comparison video in the next week or so.

I haven't taken pics, but here are some from the previous owner:
    07D23DE7-6EE2-4A84-95F2-D21D62FEAEF8.jpg DDB1E620-B500-4247-999B-188C817251FD.jpg

2. I gigged exclusively with one of the first Skyline Duck Dunn basses for a full decade. I used a '95 American Standard P-Bass as a backup. These are some fine basses. Congrats!

Sprout likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That's really sweet. The blocks tie it together. Great color. And Blue basses, yeah.

4. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    Great basses, I’ve got the Candy Apple Red one. I like it so much I’m seriously tempted by the 44-60 in the same colour as yours.

ABB0B62C-3052-47D4-8FD4-9280A7F6E036.jpeg

Sprout likes this.
  5. Sprout

Sprout Gold Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2020
    I just picked up my own in white! My pic is from Sweetwater. I received it on Tuesday AEA8F37D-CE87-47F6-BC3F-C269FF570371.jpeg

Pet Sounds and OllyW like this.
  6. She's a beauty! How do you like it so far?

Sprout likes this.
  7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I have both the white and black...the white is my main player with the black being my back up...I'm considering the GZ in purple next...

32376_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=DRqQnRtY-OsAX_xodqe&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.jpg

75680_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=V3EI5gKUhf0AX_vc1B5&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-2.jpg

PMagers, Sprout and filler83 like this.
  8. Sprout

Nov 23, 2020
    I am absolutely loving it! I played 3-4 fenders prior to purchasing this. The lender I liked the most was the pj deluxe at guitar center with the tuxedo neck.
    My Lakeland is far superior in every way to me! No offense meant to fender by any means. It was a great bass.
    Very comfortable, low action, (I am getting used to) balanced and the sound is fantastic! I am currently using a fender rumble 40 to start with.
    I am hoping to play in the church worship team as it is expanding.
    I am playing it between an hour to two most days when work allows.
    BTW I am 54 and wish I started playing years ago!

Pet Sounds likes this.
  9. Sprout

Nov 23, 2020
    I was torn between the black and white! I am very happy with my choice! It really pops and grabs attention!

10. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    My first gig with one of these back in September. I decided not to bring my pedalboard. No compressor, no boost, no nothin'. End of the first set, our sound guy comes up to me and says "Sounds great! What did you do?":D
    D21 rivest 081520.jpg

11. Sprout

Nov 23, 2020
    Bunk, what kind of music do you and your band play? Beautiful bass!!

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  12. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    We're just a stinky little bar band.

Sprout likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021