1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: nothing interesting actually

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin_BlueBASS, Oct 9, 2010.

1. So I've had a hankering for a project lately and a fiend of mine was selling a Squier P bass.
    I'm normally not a Fender guy but I thought what the hey- the price is right!
    The bass was $40 but the catch was that the bass produced no sound.
    After a quick look I noticed the input wasn't properly connected- a quick fix and I've got a near mint P has for a 1/4 ore price a normal used one goes for! Woot!
    Anyways I know a Squier P isn't a very interesting new purchase but I figured you'd all enjoy this crappy cell phone pic of the 4-sting herd:
    0f400885.jpg
    (the one on your right) xD
    Suprisingly it plays amazing for a cheap china Squier! No bad frets, decent tone, all in all I'm happy! :bassist:
    But I have been thinking and I might wanna go for a White p/u black guard and maybe if I'm ambitious enough Id LOVE to refin it in Seafoam green :D
    But right now I'm happy- take it easy :bassist:

2. Can't go wrong with seafoam.

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    i'll take a $40 squier any time. nice score...

4. ^ +1

5. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +2

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i love my '62 foam green one:

62pbass-5-w.jpg

7. That '62 has me drooling mmmm
    Ok update: I got bored so I took off the neck and right now I'm fruit to get a regretted maple neck on for a different vibe- a wee bit harder than originally anticipated.
    This may be better situated to the luhier corner but what's the cheapest option to refinish it in a Surf green? Krylon? Or should I man up and go with Reranch?

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I used Krylon on my surf green Jazz Bass. (Catalina Mist was the Krylon color, and they don't make it any more.) It looks nice, and with patience you can get a nice finish. Lots of fine sanding and many,many light coats of paint.

The reranch stuff will get you the authentic color, and would be a good choice for that reason. Either way, go fo it. It's fun!

9. Ok so I figured this would be the best place to report back instead of making another thread.
    I've sanded down the P bass and I'm debating on what colour to go with...
    I've got Valspar Teal (which is just a lil too blue) and
    Krylon Pistachio (which is just a lil too green)
    I wish I could combine these colours to get what I want :crying:
    I can't get reranch (I'm in Canada and I'm trying to keep this project under $100)
    any suggestions for either Krylon or Valspar?
    Thanks guys! :hyper:

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    You may not want to invest in the equipment, but an auto body paint outfit can mix you any color you want if you want to spray it yourself. i've seen small hobby spray guns for fairly reasonable prices.

11. Ok so a (major) update:
    Heres what I started with:

865ad05e.jpg

Boring.

After 4 days of work here's the end result:

b290e2ac.jpg

Check out my thread in the luthiers corner! :)

Overall couldn't be happier

12. Btw:
    The end cost for this was $87 :D

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Cool. Hope it plays well too.

14. It does! Lowest action Ive ever had.
    I think Fenders are finally starting to grow on me

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021