1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: NS WAV4 and pedal recommendations

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by HCF, Jun 1, 2019.

1. HCF

HCF All your bass are belong to us Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Last week received my new NS WAV4 bass and I'm a fan! It's a dream to play on and the original strings on it aren't even that bad for arco. I only really need to get used to the stand and pizzicato. Only now I realize how physical my playing on the db is. The NS is for now impossible to keep still and swaying left and right when playing pizzicato. I assume I need a lighter touch, or is this something the upgraded stand (from the crt) will also help solving?

Anyhoo, because I bought this bass for a hardrock/heavy metal project I'm working on I'm not interested in a double bass-like sound, and more in what can be achieved with arco and effects, and I was wondering if people had recommendations for pedals to try?

I was thinking to start with an octaver (micro pog or MRX bass octave deluxe) and maybe add an overdrive, but which ones? Thanks in advance.

And this thread is of course useless without a pic of the new bass, next to the loyal czech
    IMG_3343.JPG

GroovyBaby and equill like this.
  2. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I have an NS Design upright. For bowing I like to use reverb and echo (Source Audio Soundblox2 and TC Electronics Flashback). One interesting effect for bowing is an envelope filter (Source Audio bass envelope filter). If you set right it responds to bow pressure and speed and gets a digeridoo type of sound. Add it to the reverb and echo and that is a great texture. I also use an Eventide H9 pedal. Very versatile and expandable with all types of harmonizer presets as well as echo, chorus, reverb, distortion etc. I don’t use distortion and fuzz much but I’m sure those would work for you. Enjoy.

HCF likes this.
  3. Welcome to the club!

One place to start is whatever you'd normally apply to electric bass. I'll echo the suggestion of delay, and add flanger and phaser to the list of things to try. Personally, I've been having a good time with the Atomic Amplifire that I got for guitar - a KT88 power-amp model is a surprisingly good match.

What preamp are you running it through?

As for the stand, I gave up on that thing pretty quickly with my own WAV4. Went through a few iterations of DIY endpin stand before just caving in and getting the NS design one. K&M make a stand that works perfectly for storing it; just be aware that it soaks up a lot of floor-space.

HCF likes this.
  4. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Glad to hear this as I’ve got one on the way! My first upright.

HCF likes this.
  5. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    HateyMcAmp likes this.
  6. HCF

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the suggestions! Those Source Audio pedals look interesting!

I'm running it through an old Fishman Pro-EQ bass preamp. For now it works, but I might replace it later on.

Yeah, I was looking as well at the NS design end pin, but (surprisingly) kinda like the whole tripod stand situation.

I never played electric bass with more than a boss bass overdrive, so this whole pedal world is new for me. I don't know what half of the suggested pedals even do! :jawdrop: So much to explore and spend money on!

7. That ought to work. FWIW, I've found 10 megohms to be a good input impedance for the WAV4. Personally, I use and recommend the Radial Bassbone OD - it's expensive, but it's pretty much mission control complete with a bonus overdrive (hence the OD) and I don't expect to need to replace it. Ever.

In that case, definitely look into the CR stand. I've never used one myself, but they do have a reputation as a good upgrade from the WAV's one.

Playtime!
    Consider getting a multi-FX box, then - it's a cost-effective way of trying all the things. Once it's helped you figure out what types of effect really do it for you, then you can safely invest in the really good pedals. Or not; my Amplifire does everything well enough that I keep failing to GAS for standalone pedals, and Zoom's B3n (I think that's the model) is another that people keep recommending.

8. HCF

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Thanks! I will investigate :D

equill likes this.
  9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Congratulations!

As regards effects: so many choices.

If you want to substitute for distorted guitars, you need distortion/overdrive obviously.

If you want your EUB sound as bass, I would highly recommend HPF.

If you want to achieve biamped-like sound, I would suggest Filter FX Loop from Broughton.

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/filter-fx-loop

Good luck!

10. HCF

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    So, having had the chance to try out a few dirt pedals during practice I really like the Fulltone OCD. Enough overdrive/dirt without taking away bass. I also tried a Bad Monkey I had laying around, but that was no love affair (although the Peavy amp might not have helped, I might revisit with a better amp).

11. rbbrnck

rbbrnck

Sep 18, 2011
    can't speak for the WAV4, as i'm the lucky owner of a Czech-made NS CR5M, but as far as your quest for (effects) tone goes, universe is constantly expanding, and sky's got no limit, though your wallet may, sadly.

in my experience, dirt is a strange beast when applied to low end, and someone's choices told to YouTube as the inspiration for my choices always led me to a massive waste of time, and money... your touch, the way your instrument's setup, your kit, and especially your room, will yield to totally different results than what you (think you may have) heard on YT.

to my ear, distortion on a lower-pitched instrument can take out much of its impact and force, beside the very fact that not all stompboxes designed for guitar and guitarists actually reach down in frequency as low as your WAV4 calls for. whatever the dirtbox i want to try to use, that's my 5 cents hint here, try to have a blend control that lets you add of it only as much as it can colour your tone to your taste, without sucking the attack out of it completely.

it can be something as cheap as a Boss LS-2 Line Selector, though it is quite effective at that (used as A+B mixed/bypass), or something seriously expensive as a Lehle Parallel L (or Parallel M, i always trick myself with understanding which one has the footswitch and which one does not), but a blend control is where whatever distortion to your bass sound can become usable.

some clever preamp that's purpose-designed for adding dirt to bass comes with a built-in blend control on the distortion circuit, like my Darkglass Electronics' Microtubes B7K Ultra, or its sibling Vintage Ultra, but beside their quality (unquestionable, really), you'd be surprised by how good even the cheapest dirtbox can become, if you pass through it only a portion of your signal and not the whole. i have a Strymon Riverside Drive that's meant for guitar indeed, which can take all the low-end of a bass (and an electric upright, too), but to my ear it shines on bass with the blend control (that it does not have on board).

i have an Eventide H9 myself too, but while a good number of its own "recipes" come with a blend control, and it sure can deal with the lower range of frequencies, too, i'm totally disappointed by how its (otherwise great) PitchFuzz™ algo walks away without the Mix (blend) control that the other two "distortion" algorithms Sculpt and CrushStation have.

still, while the H9 offers an easy (and relatively cheap) way to try out a number of different effects, at least if you buy the MAX version of it, although many of these have a quality that "generic" multi-effect units can't reach, it can't compete with the real thing that a real manufacturer has designed and built to its own vision and taste... sure, you might like more than a few of its 500 ready-made patches, but i also know how many of them fall a long way short of what Strymon, Empress Effects, Chase Bliss and Earthquaker Devices, to name just the digital ones, can make happen with their real boxes.

i still have found no alternative to buying, trying, and reselling what i ultimately can't find a use for... my own idea of sound isn't "genre-driven", so whatever i happen to like, or dislike, hardly falls within a category, which doesn't help to take hints from a community that speaks of music styles i can't translate to my own search...
    but there's never been a better time for trying out pedal effects, as there's never been so many pedal effects brands and models. not all are suited to your WAV4 or my CR5M, but... a blend makes many of them worth trying, actually!

never stop exploring, good luck with your (sound) journey!

GroovyBaby and HCF like this.
  12. HCF

Nov 30, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Thanks, a blend pedal and some dirt put together sounds like a great idea, hadn't thought about that yet.

13. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    Get a Moogfooger Ring Modulator! It is my favorite pedal and I imagine it would respond really well to EUB. I use it on my acoustic double bass and it's a great fit.

Also Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run is a great delay/reverb. Gilad Hekselman calls it his desert island pedal and I whole heartedly agree. I've found it to be a great tool for creating noise loops.