NBD or N PB D Fender Mod Shop Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killing Floor, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    723D8DAB-452F-4958-BF98-F56B7738B96A.jpeg 22CD241F-C322-4C59-88CA-4B3E77AA25FD.jpeg 826E5876-0ABF-4800-8BED-4D01FC5715A9.jpeg 216B1C79-E503-4955-91BC-419AE2B3CC99.jpeg A1840B7F-FBC7-421E-848A-F652C0C82784.jpeg 45869B6B-FD58-40D2-A7A4-64EABEDCAE39.jpeg Oh, My God!

It’s finally home with me. Fender Precision Mod Shop project bass and it came out EXACTLY how I hoped. Could not be more delighted with how it plays, sounds, looks and feels in my hands.
    I pulled the trigger back in November but they already had the scheduling disclaimer that builds would start January 11, so it’s in my arms in only 16 days, not counting the 6 weeks.
    I was a little nervous about having this shipped to my door so I ordered it at my favorite local dealer. Same exact cost. But they get a commission so that’s better Karma than online. Huge shout out to Jim at Guitar Resurrection. They did a setup and thorough check out.
    Ok. The bass.
    Standard alder USA P body.
    Solid Rosewood ‘63 C Precision neck.
    Tort on Satin Black. Just enough sheen but doesn’t look smudgy! And the tort pops!
    Vintage open reverse (surprise!) machines, modern high mass, low profile bridge, same bridge as on the AmPro basses. Oh, ‘58 pickup. It Slams! Neck feels warm and sounds warm and rich. I heard stories about Fender rosewood and fret sprout, the edges are great. If it happens I can take care of it. The stripe is darkened(?) so it doesn’t look weird. And there’s a hootenanny button! Like they read my mind. It’s got rounds, I assume 45-105 Fender. Hey, y’all wanna tell me what flats to get? I’ll make it easy. I have positive relationships with TI Jazz flats, LB DTF, Chromes, and 77s. So hit me.

Been wanting a newer P but wanted it My Way. I am absolutely loving this. I’ll probably go bonkers peeling all the nits from the shrink wrap on the pick guard but first I gotta play more.
    Pics or it didn’t happen.

2. Craig T Vector

Craig T Vector Gold Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Liberty Hill, TX
    Wow, absolutely beautiful! Congrats!

3. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Texas!

makaspar likes this.
  4. SiSoldier

SiSoldier Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Wow thanks for sharing that's awesome!

Killing Floor likes this.
  5. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Looks super nice, I have been tempted to order a mod bass this is making me closer

6. Sam Crank

Sam Crank Supporting Member

May 16, 2020
    Awesome bass... and pickguard shrinkwrap peels off nicely if you remove the screws

N4860 and Killing Floor like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I'm really digging it, played for a couple hours tonight. I think I'll end up stringing it with TI Jazz Flats when I get around to it but the rounds are kinda fun while it's new.
    Liking the etched logo headstock.
    And the frets are definitely not medium jumbo, they are thin and I think they're shorter but I'll measure when I'm bored enough. I like the way they feel. The rosewood neck has rounded edge.

Loving it. Would totally recommend if you're like me and you just want something traditional but just a little different. Plays and sounds like a P.

PWRL, woodyng2 and StevieMac like this.
  8. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    Sea Addle
    Wow. I'm not a member of the Cult of Tort but in this case I'm only too happy to genuflect to a beautiful instrument. Much joy to you!

woodyng2 and Killing Floor like this.
  9. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    Aw..E...Some ! :cool:

10. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Any Fender super genius pickup experts care to explain the extended poles on the 58 P under the A? I chose this for the tone specifically. But I am curious. I've never heard a good explanation.

woodyng2 likes this.
  11. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Necessary with the Original 7.5” radius neck?

C Stone and Killing Floor like this.
  12. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Oh,and Beyootiful bass! :drool:

13. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Me too, this is a fabulous looking color combination!

Crash 56 and Killing Floor like this.
  14. BeautifuL!! :cool:

15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    b a s s

16. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That is incredible:drool::drool::drool::drool:

17. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    What a beautiful bass! The rosewood neck looks great, enjoy!

18. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! I had a similar idea. But why not the D poles? I like the grunt and I don't really mind the 2 oddball poles but I was curious. I know later in the '60's they fiddled with raised D/A centers for the fretboard radius so you are probably right.

woodyng2 likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. Yeah, I'll go either way on tort, depends on the colors. But I think it pops with the satin black and the darker neck. Really happy with how it turned out.

lomo and woodyng2 like this.
  20. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I know there were some sprout issues a few years ago when it was an option. But they are rounding edges now and this feels pretty smooth. It's a little more weight but still almost 2 pounds less than my '73.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022