1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Peavey Foundation (love trading on CL!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Aug 13, 2012.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I got a keyboard as payment from a repair I did for a friend. It didn't work that great and I didn't want to put money into fixing it, so I put it on CL and lo and behold... I got a good trade!

100_2890.

100_2891.

100_2898.

I have no idea what year it is, but it's a Peavey Foundation with those Seymour Duncan pickups with the dip switches on them. I've always wanted to check those out!
    When I first plugged it in, it didn't work. But a battery solved that quickly.

Oh, it came with this, too...

100_2900.
    (USA Fury neck)

I'd say I made out pretty well on the deal.

What I guess I'm not sure of, and I'm sure the Peavophiles (Peaverts?) would know:
    What year is this thing?
    Is the ebony fretboard a rarity?

2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Nice.

3. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Good trade. Based on the the knobs and headstock decal, I'd guess this is an '84.

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The serial starts with 01689, so Wikipedia puts that at '83. Good guess, smcd! I didn't realize it was that old.

This thing sounds UH-MAY-ZING!!!, btw.

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You know anything about those fancy pickups with the DIP switches? I don't think I've ever seen those before.

6. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy

Sep 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Nice Bass!!!

7. Interesting.

8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    From the Duncan forums:

Originally Posted by Seymour Duncan FAQ
    Functions of switches on old-style "Active EQ" bass pickups
    We stopped making the switch pickups ("Active EQ") in the mid-'90s. We replaced them with the Pro-Active series.
    The little rocker switches on the Active EQ pickups change the sound. Switch #1 shifts the coil resonance. On a Jazz Bass neck pickup and a P Bass pickup, the resonance moves downward from 22 KHz to 6.4 KHz. On a Jazz Bass bridge pickup, it move downwards from 17 KHz to 4.9 KHz. The effect is to give a more focused sound with a harder attack. Switch #2 gives a broad band bass boost of 4 dB for the Jazz Bass neck and P Bass pickups, and 5 dB for the Jazz Bass bridge. The switches can be a very effective tool for changing the tonal "character" of your instrument.

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All I can say for sure is, they work and sound GREAT!!!

10. I'm intrigued by an ebony board on a Foundation.

11. Score!

12. So, . . What are you going to do with that Fury neck ? :bag:

Peaverts ! :D

13. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Wow...that for a non working keyboard. Whoever traded you must have been out of their mind.

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Fury neck is going up for sale. I have a couple of people interested but nothing set in stone just yet.
    (PM if interested, I guess. It's in damn good shape!)

When I plugged in the bass, it didn't work either. But I'm a hell of a lot better at figuring out bass problems than keyboard problems (Battery was really the only problem). So I figured, what the hell!

As for Peaverts: PEAVEY EXPERTS! I didn't mean it derogatorily. (Holy crap, DEROGATORILY is an actual word!)

15. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Nice score, bass bro! :)

I once played a guys Fender P that had the dip switch pickups. He swore the bass was active/passive so I always thought that's what they did.

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Thanks! Man, I wish it were a 5'er, though. It sounds so damn good, but you know me... gotta have that B!

17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I have come to the same conclusion.

I've got my Valenti on order but I am GASing hard for about every bass that I see.

18. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    This bass is one of those rare situations where changed pickups actually raise the value of the instrument.

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Really? Don't the Peavey Heads love the Super Ferrites?

I had some and they were cool.

20. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Super Ferrites are great, and Peavey players love them. That includes me. But there are a zillion Foundations floating around out there, and these exotic pickups - which seem professionally installed, enhance the appeal.