NBD! Peavey TL-5 in Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insederec, Sep 21, 2017.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Sounds to me like the pots need cleaned. Get some Deoxit from a computer store, if you have one nearby, and spray it inside the pots' openings, with the battery disconnected, of course. Makes a world of difference most of the time.

2. I don't mind a little buzz. So far it's got just enough for me, but I wouldn't hate a little more, at least until it starts messing with the tuning or until notes start bottoming out. I feel like I'm willing to shell out if I have to though, this bass deserves the love. (Although, it looks like the nut has been filed down to compensate, it probably isn't something I could handle on my own without a lot of trial and error)

Thought about it, and I might only if I can find some that sound and feel the way I want them to. As much as I want to preserve this bass, there's no point in "preserving" something I don't love to play.

3. Is that in reference specifically to the stickiness/looseness or to the sound fading?

4. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Both. Sound fading could be dust, stickiness could be due to liquid getting inside and drying. Either way, it definitely can't hurt.

5. Alright, I'll do that when I give her a thorough (and necessary) cleaning (I mean she's not filthy but I feel gross playing a bass with somebody else's grime on it, you know what I mean?). But if my pots spontaneously explode, I'm blaming you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  6. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Ha ha... deal.

7. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Be sure to squirt a generous amount into the pot, and twist the pot back and forth, to loosen and remove whatever is there. May have to do it a couple times. Also, wait until the cleaner dries thoroughly before hooking the battery up again. I did this to an amp last night that was being a bit bothersome. Brought it right back to where it should be.

8. Did they make these in a four? I like everything about this except the too many strings part.

9. As far as I know, they did not sadly. I was in the market for a 5er, but if I wasn't, I would have been very disappointed. You can look at some other Peaveys with the Super Ferrites. I believe the DynaBass and Cirrus around that era did as well, but I think others on here would know more than I would about that.

10. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You hit the nail on the head. Here is a scratch track I did on mine a few years ago for a friend. Flat EQ on my old black TL-Five straight into my Boss BR1600 recorder. I don’t think I did much if any EQing to the bass on the mixer either. Something about that ebony board gives it a punchy/quick attack.

Chad Michael, smogg and Insederec like this.
  11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    dang! the one day I didn't look at ebay for a TL5!
    Congrats, it's a beaut!

12. Don't say that! You have no idea how scared I was that somebody would grab it first.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Pretty! Pretty! Pretty!

A shade of blue guaranteed to cause "green eyes" wherever it goes.

The blem and frets are readily fixable - and the price was right.

Congrats! Play it well. :thumbsup:

14. How would you go about fixing that? Or is that best left in the hands of a luthier? My mind goes to matching colors and transparency, sanding down the area and matching the thickness of the clear lacquer around it... I dunno.

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Depends on the finish type. You want to match it. If it's lacquer you'll want to use that.

For something like that though, I'd probably turn it over to a pro. Getting a good color match and buff out can be tricky, so some experience in repairs and refinishing will make all the difference between barely noticeable and "well…at least now the wood is protected." :laugh:

For that covergirl, I'd want it done right and spend the money. (And she is one gorgeous bass isn't she?) But that's me. YMMV.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice score! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

17. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Congrats! That is one sweet Peavey!

18. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Actually, the TL-Five does have a tone control when in passive. Although IMO not quite the range of say a ‘normal’ jazz bass, the treble knob becomes a passive tone control.

mech likes this.
  19. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    People have no idea what great basses these are. A lot of players see the name Peavey, and go on about their merry way. NOT a wise move. I've seen these for as low as $300. That's crazy.

son_of_mogh and jjk2007 like this.
  20. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Been using USA Peavey's as my main players since the eighties. Your bass is beautiful. Peavey USA rocks!

kodiakblair likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021