NBD! Peavey TL-5 in Blue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insederec, Sep 21, 2017.

1. EDIT: I'm adding these two pictures here because I don't see them talked about much with respect to this bass.
    The first is the curve on the back of the bass. I think some call it a "belly cut." I don't have any "belly" to speak of, but it's nice all the same. Reminds me a lot of the more expensive Spector basses.
    The second here is of the forarm cut. It's very similar in angle and size to my Warmoth Gecko, and it makes playing fingerstyle very, very comfortable. Nice and gradual. Like it's guiding your hand where it's supposed to be.

Got this one for $571.49 with shipping off good ol' fleabay. I couldn't resist that beautiful blue. It's got one big ding in the back of the neck, flat frets, and a missing tab for the battery door, but everything that it came with is still there and nobody but me has to know. :cool:

The dings and things:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Beautiful bass !! After the fretwork it should be a great player .

3. It actually already is. I'm going to test intonation but purely on a playability standpoint, she's smoove.

jjk2007 and lowdownthump like this.
  4. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Love it, and the blue is spectacular, Enjoy!

Chad Michael likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A TL-5 with Super Ferrites is an undercover Jazz on steroids or a poor man's F Bass. Enjoy it.

Insederec and son_of_mogh like this.
  6. Always wanted to try one of these basses but the narrow string spacing scared me off! This one looks amazing though.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    TL-5's with Super Ferrites are great basses. They remind me of F Basses because they don't look like active Jazzes, but that is the sound they have.

8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Nice! Congrats.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    TL-5s with Super Ferrites are not narrowly spaced. They are 18mm at the bridge.

Chad Michael and lowdownthump like this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If it plays good, run it till the frets start buzzing, bet you'll get at least a few years out of it before you have to deal with that. If you have any interest, you could teach yourself fretwork, it's hard but not rocket science. Plenty of free advice here on TB Luthiers Corner, and 1000 tutorials on YouTube. Maybe use pressure wounds or chrome flats in the meantime? The figure on that thing is gorgeous, well scored, Sir.

11. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I knew I wanted another TL-Five after selling my previous one (like a fool) a few years ago. Wasn’t planning on it so soon but I found one a couple of months ago and it had everything going for it. Battery box intact, no major damage etc so I jumped on it. Mine plays good but needs the frets cleaned up in the “money zone” at some point and I’ll have the electronics gone through at some point. All that said they’re great basses!

Insederec, Dr. Cheese and son_of_mogh like this.
  12. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    That thing is glorious! Love the color and how it flows from body to neck and head stock.

Insederec and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Photo of mine:
    vhb6vq.jpg

14. Indeed. This thing's got some punch. And, while I don't slap much, if I do, it's like cheat mode. It's got the most gnarly slap sound I've ever heard without even doing much with my hands. Unbelievable.

Dr. Cheese and son_of_mogh like this.
  15. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    purdy grain with a quality stain!

16. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Always wanted one, eventually I'll succumb to the GAS lol....

17. Well since it seems time is on your side, try and find a pretty one in purple, huh? I saw some purple ones but none with as much figuring.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Congratulations! I love that you have the earlier generation model, from before they changed to the big pickups and fewer gold knobs.

19. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Technically, the 2nd gen has one more knob... Volume, Blend, Stacked Treble and Bass, Stacked Mid and Mid frequency. It is missing that nice active/passive switch though!

son_of_mogh likes this.
  20. As far as controls, they were all kind of sticky (which I'm guessing is mostly down to it not being played because they're freeing up more now) and the pickup selector knob is pretty loose. Also the positioning of the volume knob is actually quite frustrating when I'm playing with a pick. Every time I downstroke it lowers the volume because it's directly in the path of where I like to pick.

Also sometimes (maybe once per hour) the volume seems to randomly fade out and then kind of crackle and slowly come back up without me touching anything. I think I've narrowed it down to just this bass and not any other part of my setup, but I dunno. I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

That switch has been a lot of fun so far. In passive it sounds much more like a classic jazz bass. It's got a sort of warm tone to it. I do kind of miss a tone knob though.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021