1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Sandberg (warning: relic content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Klonk, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Got a hold of this beauty today. It's a Sandberg VS4, with a Curtis Novak "Bisonic" added to the Nordstrand split coil P pickup.

blackone1. blackone2. blackone3.

Passive only, not active/passive switchable like most Sandbergs. Plays like a dream, and sounds great.

Doctor J, Tbone76, GregC and 6 others like this.
  2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Never saw that pickup configuration before, but it looks good! Congrats!

Klonk likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'd love to hear what you think of the Novak BS/DS, have 2 pair on order myself, can't wait! :)

Klonk likes this.
  4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Cool! Congrats.

Klonk likes this.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That looks cool! Congrats!

Klonk likes this.
  6. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Thanks all! It's an unusal pup combo for sure.

The Novak pup is a beast of its own, at least for a poor guy with mostly Fenders (and a few Sandbergs) in my historical bass past. I really like it with finger style, it's warm, a bit muddy (in a good way), and BIG sounding. Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom" comes to mind ;)

I'm not a pick guy, but it sounds good with a pick too, although on this bass I so far prefer the sound of pick + P pup soloed.

7. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
  8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
  9. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Haven't played the Guild pup, unfortunately :(

Loving the width and the girth of the Novak, though! This bass covers alot of possible tunes/genres. From fingerstyle/Novak for 70s vibe (think Grand Funk Railroad), or pick/Novak (Allman Brothers Band, Deep Purple), to pick/Nordstrand (Foo Fighters, Danko Jones)...

10. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    Their relics look great. Awesome bass, enjoy.

11. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Thanks! First gig using only this bass coming up soon, May 30. Outdoor stage, classic rock cover band.

12. Whoa. That's incredible. Did you get that from the factory that way? What a bass.

13. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Thanks! It was custom ordered by the original owner (whom I bought it off) as 2 x Nordstrand P pups, and a parchment pickguard. His luthier installed the Novak along with the black pickguard.