1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Schecter USA telecaster body 5 string. What is this thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassporter, Apr 14, 2015.

1. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    Hi guys, been lurking here a while. This bass finally made me feel like I had something to contribute and ask.

Received this in a trade a couple weeks ago. It was SUPER crusty and neglected. I cleaned it up and put a fresh set of D'Addario chromes on. According to the serial # it was made in 1996. Has a very nice J-bass style birds-eye maple neck. Passive only Basslines pickup up. Plays and sounds incredible, but I can't find any info on it.

Couple questions if there's any Schecter experts out there:
    What is the body wood on these? What does the 5 position switch do? It's obviously series/parallel/single, but what are the other 2 positions? And I hope this isn't against the rules, what is the value range for these? I've found one 4 string on ebay, but I doubt that's truly representative.

Thanks for any help, and here's some bad cell phone pics. Hope you enjoy!
    WP_20150414_21_58_45_Pro. WP_20150414_21_59_18_Pro. WP_20150414_22_00_40_Pro.

TonyP-, bholder, deepestend and 2 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No clue, but nice bass! Love that birdseye figuring on the neck!

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Pretty sure its called a "Baron". They had one in the bass player 5 string shootout from that era.

Maxdusty likes this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Sexy! Love the body binding; don't love the headstock but it's not unsightly by any means.

5. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    I agree about the head stock. It would look better with a 4+1 like fender does on most of their 5s. It's a reach to tune the g while standing.

6. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    That looks really neat! Any chance we could convince you to do some sound clips?

7. bassporter

bassporter

Apr 14, 2015
    I don't have good recording gear at home, but it's going to my gig this Saturday. Maybe I'll get something there.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Yes.. it's the Baron. There's still a current Schecter Baron "Vintage" produced by the Schecter USA Custom shop but it has that f hole.
    This is the original, very nice bass. Worth? Not too sure, these don't show up very often.