1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Squire Vintage Modified Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pish, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Pish

Pish

Aug 29, 2010
    Walked into GC yesterday and saw this on the wall for an absolutely unbeatable price. I took it down and started noodling on it and was immediately impressed; the quality was not something I would have expected from a Squire. The neck is different, but really comfortable (I'm making a transition from a 2000 Fender Precision Standard ).

Its going to take me a while to get used to the fretless aspect of it; but I can tell I'm going to like it. The slide and vibrato options are really cool.

Some pics!

DSCN0324.jpg

DSCN0325.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

DSCN0331.jpg

:bassist:

2. Sure is pretty, and your cat seems pretty impressed by it as well.

Brace yourself for the incoming "Arrrgh, I hate the control plate without a pickguard" comments, though.

3. Jippy

Jippy Guest

Jun 29, 2010
    its gorgeous! I just ordered one, really excited about it
    also I thought it looked a little odd without the pickguard too but it doesnt really bother me at all

beautiful cat too! he/she looks thrilled with the bass! :D

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Congrats... they are super. I'm still thinking of getting one as a passive backup. I'd have to mod it though... I'm thinking vintage style tuners, tort guard, jazz knobs. Maybe one day.

5. Joospocks

Joospocks

Jul 1, 2010
    ;) I bought one the other day, and I am not fond of the control plate without a pickguard. I'm torn between getting a white or tort 'guard... Other than that detail, I really like it. After only having a precision for a while, it's really fun to dial in different pickup blend tones.

6. Personally I love the no-pickguard look. I think it's cool. :) Not a fan of plastic on a bass. :D

7. I got one of those used but in like new condition a few weeks ago from Mike_v_s here on TB. Remarkable quality and fit-and-finish for the price. I liked it so well I bought a J-retro from BFISHER1970 for it.

8. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hey Smokin'... I put a J-Retro in my 62 fretless... absolute monster tone... I get an almost sub bass response through my Ashdown. Have fun!

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    +1... Plastic is for tub surrounds, not basses/guitars.

OP, good-looking bass, and I love the no-dots fingerboard. :)

10. Congrats, good luck and Happy NBD!

I've been using one of these as my main bass for over a year now and I'm STILL in love with it! Strung it up with flats, a pro setup and it is a SWEET player! :bassist:

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Looks just like mine! Great basses, IMO.

I'm not really a fretless player, but it sure is fun to mess around with and record stuff. I've played much worse feeling fretless basses that cost a lot more. Great bass for the money.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I just picked up one of these yesterday using GC's 15% off Black Friday coupon. Brought the price down to $255. It will be a Christmas present for my youngest son.

He has his own P-Bass, but of all my basses, he keeps trying to sneak my Roscoe fretless. I finally let him use it for a middle school instrumental performance and he did very well. And it's 35" scale with black strings on an unlined ebony board! I figured if he can handle that, he can handle a 34" scale lined fretless.

13. If ya put a pickguard in one of these, don't you kinda mess up the deim-Jaco-esque vibe?

14. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Certainly, if that's what you're interested in. But, f you're not, and you prefer a PG, why not go for it?

15. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    This photo needs to be cross-posted to http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579949

Congrats on your first fretless. My first fretless was a SMVF, and it was way nice. I agree with Eagle (again!), the pickguard-free look is nice...especially with the control plate.

I have 2 Jazzes, a 70's Classic and a V...if not for the screw holes, neither would have a pickguard. That said, black with three-tone burst looks great!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021