1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - St. Blues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff K, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Picked up an '84 St. Blues P/J made by Strings & Things at their workshop back when these were still highly regarded instruments. The newer ones, not so much; but these '80s models are killer.

IMG_0715.

IMG_0716.

IMG_0718.

IMG_0717.

Fuzzbass and Tbone76 like this.
  2. I've never heard of that brand, but it looks really nice. Almost like an Aerodyne.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I fell in love with the tone; and it feels very similar to my Fenders, so it's very comfortable. I've tried to like G&L's and Stingrays, but the Fenders (and similar basses) just feel better. And did I mention I love the tone on this sucker?! :D

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've had a St. Blues for years, it's a nice good sounding bass but very heavy.

Nice one...Mine is in more relic'd condition.

5. Nice! I like the color and like basses with binding.

6. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Nice bass Jeff. Does the binding have smooth edges, or is it sharp like on Rics?

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks guys and gal.

The binding was the only thing I was a bit concerned about. While I like the looks of it, I prefer the contoured edges. But I played this for about an hour and a half this afternoon, and it didn't bother my arm at all. It's not rounded, but it doesn't feel sharp either (if that makes any sense!). Of course I was so enamored with the tone that I might have been oblivious to the binding! Time will tell I guess. So far I'm loving it. The color is Translucent Cherry.

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    These early-to-mid 80s Strings & Things basses are the equivalent of any boutique Fender build. I have one built about '86, no idea what it's been through for the last 25 years, but it has endured fantastically. There is something special about the tone, too - it has a round, ringy thing going on that sort of reminds me of a Yamaha built around the same time. And I mean this in a good way. This is really a fantastic P/J option that also happens to be something a little different.

Me and mine:

IMG_0445.

Jeff K likes this.
  9. Wow, what's not to love?

10. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The one thing I don't like is that the pickguard design leaves no room to get to the truss rod. It seems like I would have to remove the pickguard to do any adjustments. That said, the bass just made a trip from Calgary to Denver to get to me and arrived needing no neck work at all - so maybe it won't need much attention.

11. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Very nice... first of their basses that I've ever seen.

Played with a guitarist that had three St Blues axes, and he favored them over everything else
    that he owned (30+ instruments). They were absolute quality, and the tone was awesome,
    they could do anything.

I hadn't heard that the latest offerings aren't as good... did they get swallowed by
    another company?

Dave

12. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think that in the mid-80s incarnation, they were hand-building these instruments in-shop using carefully sourced components, like Sadowsky does now. The company folded and then re-launched later at which point they were commissioning builds by contract builders elsewhere in the world.

This is extremely similar to the path Schecter followed over the same time period, and indeed I believe at least one principal moved back and forth between the two companies about 25 years ago.

Somebody check me on my facts though.

13. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Papa John? :)

Jeff K likes this.
  14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Tom Keckler was the main builder. The early ones are fantastic instruments.

15. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    I used to have one in a cream colored finish. Loved it and can't remember what I did with it, sure wish I had kept it.

16. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Better ingredients, better pizza.

tastybasslines likes this.
  17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Mine's from a few years ago, I love it!
    basses005-1.

18. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Interesting, another Austin guy who owns a S&T.

The way I found out about these was from John Howard, who played bass in Extreme Heat in the late 80s. He's in Nashville now and plays Laklands, but he still has his St. Blues. It sounded great in the Heat.