NBD (to me) Pawn Shop Score!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lat, Aug 27, 2019.

1. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Pawn Shop special...

Samick Greg Bennett Design Corsair CR4

The sticker said 330 (CDN), so I figured I'd lowball them and offered 200. I had been there about a month before and liked it, but not for the sticker price. The battery ground lead needs resoldering, everything is else fine. Killer setup, which is virtually unheard of at a pawn shop.
    The boss was out, and they had a ton of crap guitars, so they wanted to move inventory. They just accepted my offer without even countering! IMO, the thing plays plays like a Fender Pro... So glad I went back to check it out and they took my lowball!
    20190827_152116.jpg 20190827_154256.jpg 20190827_154440.jpg 20190827_155001.jpg View attachment 3522152

The colour is a greener blue than shown in the photos. Pickguard is a pale mint green.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Bafflegab, paco facile, JRA and 28 others like this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Is that an active P/J?
    For 200 CDN?
    Nice score

Spidey2112 and lat like this.
  3. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Yeah, the tone knob is push/pull active/passive... Couldn't get out of there fast enough... lol

4. Wait...what are the controls?
    VBT or VVT, tone is push/pull active/passive...where is the active part?

lat likes this.
  5. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    With the tone knob pulled out (passive) it's VVT. Not sure about active until I fix the battery lead. To be honest, I wasn't that bothered about fixing the battery lead, since I'm more of a passive bass guy, but now you've piqued my curiosity, so I'm going to have to check it out!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    B-Mac and eJake like this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd be super stoked with that sweetheart too, good luck with it!

lat likes this.
  7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Can't go wrong with that, possibly active pick up's with passive VVT as on my MIK Jazz with MEC's.

lat likes this.
  8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't think that is possible. If it was active pickups then the battery being disconnected wouldn't let there be sound out the amp.

My bet is someone swapped the electronics to passive and the battery is disconnected as a result of that.

Push/pull active/passive switches would not change the controls to VVT. At most you could change what one of the controls did. So it would accommodate a 1 band EQ Preamp.

lat likes this.
  9. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice score.
    The Bennett basses never quite appealed to me visually but the ones I've played have been very nice instruments for the money.

I met Greg when I was working at GC and he was promoting his slider capo. Seemed like a nice guy with a passion for music gadgetry.

lat likes this.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Might want to stop in here?
    The Samick Club

lat likes this.
  11. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Yeah, they would likely know about how active mode is configured...

12. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    I love pawnshops! Sweet!

lat likes this.
  13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

That is a great score. I have a Greg Bennett bass and I think that they are way under-appreciated. It is very well make and plays great. Sometimes a "Not-Fender" can be a super bargain!

B-Mac and lat like this.
  14. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

The Greg Bennett Samicks are really well made and well designed. We used to carry them in a small music shop chain in the Denver area (not GC). We were always surprised at the quality. Nice score. Active P/J is the way to go.

B-Mac and lat like this.
  15. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    When I first glanced at this post, I kind of thought that you got a good deal on just another cheap p-bass copy. Then I looked a little more closely. Wow! What a gem. You my friend, got a real winner there. Enjoy it.

lat likes this.
  16. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Greg Bennett Samicks are wholly underrated instruments. I once had a Fairlane 6 and it was a damn good bass. Much better than it had any right to be. The thing had two truss rods which really surprised me. I'm a strong believer in 6-strings having two truss rods and you typically only see that in more expensive instruments.

lat likes this.
  17. That`s awesome! You can definitely find some good deals at pawn shops. Congrats!

lat likes this.
  18. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Is that a photo-finish on the top? A beaut.

lat likes this.
  19. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Yep. It's well done though... does the job!

ThudThudThud likes this.
  20. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Oh, I don't see it as a negative. I've seen some lovely Greg Bennett photo-finishes that rival some 'coffee table' basses.

lat likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021