1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - Univox Hi-Flier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr Earl Funkton, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Dr Earl Funkton

Dr Earl Funkton

Jul 15, 2016
    Montana
    Just picked up this hot piece today. Took a nice drive to a city about 100 miles south of me w/ a friend to check it out. I payed $200 and couldn't be happier; its one of the few pieces of gear i've had no buyers remorse after getting it. Sure it looks like someone lit the headstock on fire, and one of the pickups has been swapped out, and theres nicks and dings all over the body, but dang does it sound and play great.

IMG_2055.JPG

P.S. Does anybody know where to find a hardcase that would fit this bad boy?

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Fits in a Coffin case. Probably fits in something else, too.
    stwdh2eldfurkpgryw8w.

Wisebass likes this.
  3. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Nice! My first bass was one of these.

Birdbrain likes this.
  4. Nice. I like those. May have to build one someday. If I remember correctly, Semie Mosley just flipped over a strat body on the original. By the way, the neck pickup looks like some old DiMarzios I have. If it is, cool.

Dr Earl Funkton likes this.
  5. nitrobrother

nitrobrother Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Congrats! This was my first bass. Unfortunately it needs some work to get it back in the rotation.
    univox_hi-flier_cropped.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Nice score! That's one of the latter versions with the humbuckers and metal tuning keys.
    Oh wait! That is a Dimarzio Model G!!!!! One on my all time favorite pickups, guaranteed to turn any bass into a flame thrower! It's a powerful passive humbucker resistance is about 14k.

D.M.N. likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Funky! Here's mine - no burn marks, but a brutal amateur defret and rattlecan refin instead:

8. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Huh, I just noticed: My Univox has four independent bridge saddles rather than two. I'm pretty sure the bridge is original, since there aren't any marks on the body that would indicate it had been replaced.

9. Dr Earl Funkton

Dr Earl Funkton

Jul 15, 2016
    Montana
    Is that a coffin case for guitar or bass?

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Doesn't say. I guess you can contact the owner unless someone here knows.
    Univox Hy-flyer Bass 1970s Natural