NBD. USA Peavey TL-6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dBChad, Jul 20, 2019.

1. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'll start with a picture.
    TL-6.jpg

Many of you talked me out of modding the fingerboard, and that's the right call. I enjoy playing it so much I would hate for it to be decommissioned for such a time and labor intensive process. This thing is a player! it shipped from New York to Florida and was still in tune on arrival!

I've been wanting a 6 string for a long time, and this just happened to come up for sale at the moment I had the money for it. The neck feels amazing, and it's unique pickup combination gives this bass a very versatile sonic character. The hardware is showing it's age, but that doesn't bother me. The only nitpick-y thing I can complain about is wishing the battery compartment had an easy open lid instead of being held in place by 4 screws. This bass is a joy to play and is already inspiring new avenues of creativity. I'll try to get some shots of me playing in the next few days.

I installed a set of Fat Beams on it and will take it to rehearsal Sunday. This is a cool bass! String spacing is fully adjustable. It came set up well enough to slap and do chord work, so I'll leave it alone for now. I may get a set of black (or gold) metal knobs with abalone inlays as they will look good with the erie dress finish.

If there's a USA Peavey club, I submit this new purchase for admittance.

2. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Great looking bass and I'm sure it plays and sounds up to it's rep. Wise decision to not replace the fretboard. That species of ebony is no longer available and being a brittle wood it wouldn't have come off in one piece. The finish is rare, too. I've only seen 6 or so TL-5s and TL-6s in that finish on the interwebs. Congrats on a great score!

BassikLee and dBChad like this.
  3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    Great bass! Congrats!

dBChad likes this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Beautiful. Glad you got it. Play some great music with it!

dBChad likes this.
  5. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I look forward to doing exactly that! It can be pretty hard to put this thing down once I get going!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Suhweet! Is that a factory paint job?

dBChad likes this.
  7. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Indeed it is! Research has led me to believe the TL-5/TL-6 s only did this finish in a limited run.

mech likes this.
  8. A tremendous bass. I have a Peavey Palaedium and I can attest that there is something really special about these American-made Peavey basses. The TL-6 is a really cool alternative to the ubiquitous Yamaha TRB. In such a rare configuration, I'd urge you to keep this one in it's current condition so far as possible.

dBChad likes this.
  9. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

U.S. Peavey Club

10. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Man, that bridge pickup coil is super close to the bridge on the bass string side :woot:. It must really bark and growl. Very cool and somewhat unusual piece. Congrats! :thumbsup:

dBChad likes this.
  11. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    How do you mod a finger board?

12. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Just got back from rehearsal, and yeah, it kicks! Very cool sound, and it cuts through the mix like a straight razor.

For a while, I was considering removing the ebony fingerboard and fitting it with a maple one instead. Having received it, held it in my hands, and played it, I'm not doing anything to mess with the playability, feel, and tone this bass has. I'm happy with it as is.

mech and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Oic, thanks

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    That steak didn't need any seasoning after all. Enjoy it:cool:

dBChad and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Make TL himself proud... (old clip, but delightfully applicable) [edit] Tim starts playing around 1:15

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Giffro, mech, dBChad and 1 other person like this.
  16. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    1612E278-DFDA-4980-9A84-E9A91A0BE1E7.jpeg

58E10B71-2333-4200-994B-15F93058B031.jpeg Hmm wonder if that’s my old bass? I had the 5 and the 6 at one time. Wish I still had them!

mech and dBChad like this.
  17. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Good Lord, @MTMTEX!!!

That's quite the collection. I have a slowly growing collection of Peaveys, but you beat me in just TL-6s! The finish on mine is different enough to tell that mine is a different serial, but another TB user thinks I may have inherited the one he let get away.

18. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    MTMTEX, you have too many. Let someone else get on with the TL |c:

19. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Sadly for me they are all gone. But the good news is most all of them went to someone here on TB!

20. Derek S Durbin

Derek S Durbin

Dec 18, 2019
    So is this still avsilable?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021