1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD, yard sale Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Sep 20, 2020.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Drummer from our last band texted me a photo of this MIM Fender Jazz about a month ago. It was spotted at somebody's yardsale closer to Tacoma with a $200 asking price, and he asked if I was interested.

Though I'm not a fan of buying a bass I can't hold first, I told him if it looked well maintained and the neck was straight that I'd take it. Aside from my cheap starter Yamaha P/J, i really only have my beloved Spector to gig with, and it's different enough from what I have that it might inspire differently, and worse case is I move it along if I don't bond with it after some time.

Due to recent circumstances, there was a gap in time before he was able to meet me just a few days ago to make the exchange over lunch.

It was definitely well maintained. It didn't appear to have much playtime on it, but the original owner did put some GHS Bass Boomers on there, and some of the pickup poles and screws apear to have a little bit of rust on them. Serial number dates it as a 1995-96, and to my pleasant surprise it also came with that nice wide strap, the stand it's on, and a snug unblemished Roadrunner hard case that has about a dozen Dunlop 2.0 plectrums that i like inside.

Here she be:
    20200916_210145.jpg 20200917_123136.jpg 20200917_122812.jpg 20200917_123310.jpg 20200917_123237.jpg 20200917_123339.jpg

I haven't given it too much playtime since getting it home, nor have I checked it for the infamous dead spot(s) that isn't really a thing with my Spector.

I played it long enough to know that the string spacing is a bit wider than I'm used to, the fingerboard definitely has more of a radius to it, and it did have a tiny bit of hiss running into the amp thru my somewhat large pedalboard unless I rolled the tone way down on the bass and amp.

That was a few days ago, and i kinda just left it on the stand while the Spector went off to practice and I had some other projects going including rearranging and rewiring the board >

20200918_155849.jpg

I'll give it another plug in today thru the newest board configuration as well as straight into the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and try it with the V4B at the prax space soon.

One thing thats gonna be a problem for me personally (and I knew this as soon as i saw the first picture) is that I'm not at all a fan of the colour :vomit: or how Fender leaves the headstock unpainted so the carpet doesn't match the drapes... that has always annoyed me (even if I liked the body color), although it would be less bothersome if the fingerboard were maple instead of rosewood.

If I'm gonna keep it I'll either be eventually joining the Purple Bass Club here :rolleyes: or maybe starting a new one called the Leopard Print Bass Club >^..^<

2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I vote leopard print. Nice score on the price.

Oddly, Pazelaya93, DrMole and 4 others like this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i think it looks great --- and the deal is outstanding (! right?). i know it's different from your preferred(s), but playing it a while might be some fun and have some value. FWIW: i have a couple that are 'suspect' but the more i play them the more i'm better on the 'good' ones! :laugh:

anyway, congrats on your deal and congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Sweet deal.

Dr. Cheese and catcauphonic like this.
  5. $200 bucks?... thats an outstanding find!
    And you get that sweet book for " learning how to play the bass guitar"!
    And I like the color...alot!

6. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    ...sneakers...!LOL

7. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    If I recall those pickups are the same for neck and bridge (two neck pickups). They won’t humcancel when set at the same volume. I don’t know why they did that but I had to adjust the routing on the bridge to fit a standard size bridge pickup when I change the pickups out.

8. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    That’s not rust, that’s Mojo. Congrats. Nice score.

Novarocker and catcauphonic like this.
  9. YYYESS!

Wrap the thing in leopard fur. :drool: :drool:

Though I do love a purple bass also... :unsure:

Glowing purple. :wideyed: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

(I am obsessed with glow paint at the moment and am looking to have glowing purple knobs eventually on my bass.)

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Should be two bridge pickups. The poles on the front pickup will stick out past the strings.
    With that being the case, it would be real easy to just get two DiMarzio bridge pickups. And the higher output wil also do a better job of keeping up with his Spector.

Aqualung60 and catcauphonic like this.
  11. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    First of all: SCORE! At that price, and with a color that doesn't really do it for you, you can splurge on refinishing and other mods. If you go for it, please consider sharing here, as the instrument will certainly qualify at this price.

To the part I've quoted: I think we share similar aesthetic ideas about Fenders; I have two with maple fingerboards (and my non-Fenders with non-finished headstocks also have maple fingerboards), and the one with the rosewood fingerboard has a headstock painted to match the body (as do my non-Fenders with rosewood boards [and headstocks], except for one cheap Squier Strat that I almost never look at).
    0A711C75-0908-4D33-94E2-46A3E3044A12.jpeg E408A45D-2ADB-411C-9865-2AB9BA3D3806.jpeg
    I like buttercream (which I think you have there) least of all among common Fender finishes, BUT! it does kind of make the unpainted headstock work with the rosewood fingerboard in this case. If you're feeling lazy about the leopard print or the purple, you can go with that rationale.

Again, congratulations on the steal of a deal.

12. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Nice. Congrats!
    Kitty says: "Those Strat knobs have got to go!"

13. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    cool find, check out the guts make sure its shielded for that buzz...if you repaint, let us see the process:thumbsup:

catcauphonic likes this.
  14. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Nice find. Although white can be kind of boring it does look good with colored stage lights.

One Way and catcauphonic like this.
  15. I have a mid-90's MIM neck on my main player Warmoth and it's just about the most comfortable, consistent necks I've ever owned.

five7 and catcauphonic like this.
  16. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks all! My guitarist neighbor who mods any brand new instrument he gets the same day has been jumping up and down about it, and the colour... he's really into browns and black. Me? I could never work for UPS, but Fed-Ex would be dandy :)

Yea, but it's not white... it's off white. Cream perhaps, or even buttercream (i do love me some butter :drool:)

I was actually thinking the same thing about the maple being close enough to the (butter?)cream right after I posted the pics. How'd you know i was kinda lazy?? :cautious:

Will do both for sure!

Good Intel!
    Also good to know :thumbsup:
    Honestly I'd do better worrying more about the book than any refin!
    Yea, screw the book... I'm feeling the refin more now :smug: thx fellas
    Oh yea that is a great idea :hyper:

Pdaddy1978, PWRL and S-Bigbottom like this.
  17. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hmm, I should have included a poll :thumbsdown:

I'll see if it's too late. If not... please get out (or stay in) and VOTE! :thumbsup:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  18. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Nice score! I agree with you on the color, but play that thing and see how it settles in for you during the bonding process.

19. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    ???

20. Glowing purple or leopard fur?

I love a furry, as do you, but am more into a glow... :cautious:

Glowing purple is my vote. :hyper: