1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toprekoms, Jul 19, 2012.

1. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi Folks,
    Not to complain, but these past 3 years have been pretty tough on this old boy, and my wife. The reason; unemployment. I've been selling everything I own, never once even considering selling my basses or gear. Little did I know. First to go was my 650 watt Laney 8x10. Beat amp I've ever owned, and I've owned more than a few. Celestion neo's, tube front end, extraordinary build quality. I will mis it dearly. Next, my '63 EB-3 w/OHSC. Finally,and certainly the most difficult was my '58 P-Bass, with the tweed case, that I bought when I was 14. I'm 58!
    As I just can't seem to live without a bass, I was able to put together enough scratch and found a new Yamaha BB714BS for 350.00. I also found a Kustom KBA 200 combo locally for only 100 bucks. Needless to say, I am thrilled. I did my due diligence regarding the bass, including comments, a few rather vitriolic ones, found here. I bought it without even playing one, and I'm absolutely delighted. Build quality is much better than I expected, and the sound is like no other bass I have played. With everything full on. Billy's tone is there somewhat, but to me it's more like a Rick. Pull out the tone switch, and it produces the biggest, fattest bass tone I've ever heard without a pedal. The Kustom is a little beast. I've had all sorts of 1x15 combos, but none of them hold a candle next to this one. In fact, I think it would blow the candle out. The range of tones is quite impressive, and the smallest adjustment is easily perceptible.
    Now, even with the hard times, I have a reason to live. I'll be playing with some guys this Sunday, and look forward to what this gear can really do.
    Certainly, the best 450.00 I've ever spent.

Cheers

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Congrats on your new gear! Tough times don't last but tough people do. Hang in there and enjoy the new bass.

3. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I know alot of people have been going through some tough times these past few years. It's good to hear that you are not going to let it defeat you. Shows alot of character on your part.
    Good luck to you and your family and I hope you have great time this Sunday.

4. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    Cheers, man. Times have been rough but it's nice to see people come out of it.

I hope the future is bright for you and your family. Enjoy your jam!

5. Life is a not supposed to be easy.

Without struggle, life becomes pretty much meaningless. For example, if you were born with a silver spoon and never had to work a day in your life - and had mansions and babes and whatever you wanted that was for sale at the drop of a finger, do you think that you would be happy?

Or, if daddy left you his company and you worked hard to keep it going and growing - isn't there an emptyness that can never be filled?

Or, if you just gave up and lived off of government handouts of other peoples money - that could feel worse than being dead.

Struggle, man - it is what makes us feel alive. And look, for you making it work no matter what you gotta' do.

You still got your wife? You still got your health? Damn, right there do you know how many people would give everything they own for a faithful compainion and good health? I mean every physical posession including their clothes. And they would run through the streets in naked ecstacy feeling like they just hit a real jackpot, one not made out of money or things.

And, if you are an optimist - you WILL make your comeback. The power of positive thinking is just astounding. I can tell you have it and look what else is happening - you are discovering new things that you may not have experienced if you hadn't fallen on hard times. And another thing is happening to you and your wife right now - even through the sleepless nights and constant worry and even some bickering and less than kind words - your love is growing.

When you finally get back to where you want to be (and it is a matter of when, not if * as long as you continue the struggle) - the power of your relationship will be a magnatude of 10x stronger than had you been living on easy street.

Look at the divorce rate of rich and or famous people. Are they happy? Look at the rate of drug addiction and narcissistic personality disorder - many of these people are miserable because they feel like they are somehow special and supposed to be Happier than poor unemployed forclosed folks that need help and are struggling to make it work. Ha! Joke is on them!

So, my point is that things go in cycles in the real world. Just like everything in nature that is truly Living instead of simply existing - it gets rough, it gets better, it gets great at times, but you're going to face struggle if you want to live a life worth living.

How do I know all of this?

Been there.

I had a job making bank and I was totally miserable. Last year, in this horrible economy, I quit. I was a top 5% performer with stock grants and bonuses. I didn't even talk to the wife before I did it. I came home and told her I quit. No notice. Yeah, there was a huge struggle for us - and we made it.

I have more appreciation for life and true happiness than I could have ever imagined had I stayed at that job.

Keep kicking and enjoy that new bass!

6. Good on you man - good luck with the future.
    Always wanted to add a mudbucker to a bass. Will do it one day I swear!

7. Congrats brother, i've been in the same boat myself the last year and a half searching for work. #1 thing I had to do with my first spendable money was get a bass! It's a great feeling and i'm glad for you that you got to get some new gear. :)

8. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    The outpouring from the several people who responded is very heartwarming. Like I said, I wasn't complaining. I know things could be a lot worse, and they have been. Without my wife of 27 years, I'd have been gone a long time ago. I just wanted to share a bright spot in my life, even if it was with total strangers.
    God Bless

9. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    The outpouring from the several people who responded is very heartwarming. Like I said, I wasn't complaining. I know things could be a lot worse, and they have been. Without my wife of 27 years, I'd have been gone a long time ago. I just wanted to share a bright spot in my life, even if it was with total strangers.
    God Bless

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Congrats!
    Pics? (someone hada ask) :)

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Excellent.

12. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    This.
    Live long and Prosper!

13. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Congrats!!!

14. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Congrats!

I know what you mean. I've been blessed but have recently had some medical issues (not life threatening) and have incurred some bills due to it. I am going to seriously put most of my collection out for sale. I am going to hold on to 4, that is it.

35 years of playing and touring, lots of stories and love for my basses. Recently purchased a couple so that I have what I will take with me for the rest of my life, the rest will go to pay the bills.

I am glad to hear you are back in the game!

tom

15. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Hang in there and do what the doctor says.
    Here are a couple of pic's of my newest family member.

Attached Files:

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Nice bass. Yamaha basses are SO under-rated. I don't own one, but I can't tell you how many times I had one in my hands at the music store and almost bought it even though I need another bass like a hole in the head. I play it and then look at the price and can barely control the GAS! I do own some Yammy guitars though.

Hard times don't seem nearly as hard when there is a bass in your hands! (And I've heard you can use one to make money too!) :)

17. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Your Bass is beautiful.

Enjoy your new gear.

18. toprekoms

toprekoms Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks again everyone!

19. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    Very nice. Glad to see you're still able to play, keep on keepin on

20. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    toprekoms.....

I am 57 and been married 27 years also. I lost my management job 2 years ago. Bummed me to no end. But I remained positive and got back into the local performing music scene. Back to being a weekend warrior and having more fun than I have had in years! The wife is supportive (always has been...where would I be without her!) and I am a LOT less stressed and the wife told me I seem happier and smile more now that I have in years!

I know the feeling about having to sell off a vintage axe that means a lot to you. Been there and done that! Years ago I had to sell my 64 P bass, my 66 P bass, my 73 P bass, my 70's Tele bass, a 60's vintage Hofner Beatle, a 69 Ampeg Dan Armstrong, etc. (Only mentioned this not to brag to maybe lessen your pain!)

Hang in there Bud! As mentioned by others, you have your health and the love of a great woman! Stay positive and keep pluckin away. That is a beautiful bass too!

GOD BLESS!!!