1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBsD: Ibanez SR1306e and SRSC805 (bonus Mesa content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nostatic, Dec 29, 2016.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Another experimentation into 6, and the 5 is strung E-C. Most video demos on these are whackity-whackity so I didn't do a single slap just because.

2. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Great vid! Your impressions of the Ibanez basses are exact to mine since I own a SRSC805 and a SRSM5LTD (with Nordstrand PUPs). I too have my "gold standard" Fodera that I use as the benchmark for all my basses.

To be honest, I don't think ANY bass could sound bad through that Mesa rig....good stuff!!

3. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    I have the SR 1305E and love it.

4. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Slummin it

Basehead likes this.
  5. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I'm an equal opportunity bass ho...

Herrick and Bass7755 like this.
  6. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I love my Mesa D800+. I've been thinking about selling my Genzler Array 12-3 cabinets and getting me the Mesa lightweight 210 cabinets. Nice playing as always and I agree with the poster above that Mesa rig sounds good.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah, those Ibbbys are very good! Nostatic, IMO you will be a great six string bass player (if you decide to play it in the future, and I'm dead serious)! Also that single cut sounds very nice too, i like that tight modern and aggressive tone with pronaunced midrange growl and fat bottom very much. Congratulations on your new basses!

8. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Thanks. The single cut is a keeper - going to pull the pickup stickers off tonight. It is too much fun despite some slightly odd ergonomics (strap pin).

I think I can make a 6'er work this time, not sure this is the one (may be a tad narrow and single cuts aren't my first choice). I'm pretty curious about the Adam Nitti Sig as it is 18mm spacing and purple heart fingerboard, same as the single cut, and has Barts.

Flaked Beans likes this.
  9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I like the specs of the Adam Nitti signature bass but it is way too expensive (about $7000 if I'm correct) but anyway my next 6 string will be a Fodera Emperor standard 6, probably next february (If I don't change my mind and order a custom emperor 6). However, it would be good for you to keep and play your new 6 string (the SR1306) for at list a couple of months and check it out, it sounds pretty good to me!

10. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    There is another Adam Nitti sig bass version that will be $2300 (made in Indonesia). Haven't seen one in the wild yet, I figure they'll ship after NAMM.

Been swapping back and forth tonight - actually not having a ton of problem going from 19mm 4 to 18mm 5 to 16.5mm 6. I'm not sure about the wenge on the neck of the 1306 - part of it is really open grain and a little uneven. Other than that though, hard to find fault with the bass (as long as I can ignore single coil hum :D)

I played the Emperor Std 6 at NAMM a year or two ago. It felt great, though I usually don't dig the Emperor shape or the dual coils. I think part of it is psychological - spending $6K on a bass I want everything to be exactly what I want. Spend about 15% of that, I'm a little less picky. Though not much...

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Just saw that $2,299.99 model at musicians friend (available 01-16-2017) and it looks pretty much the same as the $7000 japanese version, I think that's a pretty good option too! No offence to Ibanez but $7K is a little bit too much for an Ibanez bass (and I know that the japanese Nitti bass is hand built in japan etc...).

12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I'm diggin your demos. Nice work.

My three teenager lifestyle recently dictated some equipment restructuring but it doesn't feel like a sacrifice to play Ibanez and Mesa. I'd like to try the BTB 33 for E to C.

13. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    I tried the BTB33 twice and returned it both times. It is a bit "klunky" feeling - kinda like it needs another round of finishing to take off some material on the neck and body. But I'm admittedly spoiled. Also the pickups are apparently the same ones they use on the 6-strings, so they are long. I'm used to a certain amount of pickup overhang and found it kind of annoying.

The SRSC805 strung E-C is damn near perfect other than me wishing it had a bit longer top horn. Going to put a Dunlop straplock on it and that will move it a bit.

14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    On strap does this bass make you feel like you're reaching for the first fret. Like Spectors and Warwicks?

Great demo BTW.

15. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    It's actually fine. It is around 13th fret, but the bass is light and easy to move around. I found the reach to the nut wasn't an issue, and if you play with the neck angled up it is a total non-issue.

Of course ymmv as everybody has different ergonomic preferences.

16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Appreciate the insight.

17. Benny4P

Benny4P Supporting Member

Great demo. Much appreciated