1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCAA Bracket Challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Anyone want to do one? Did one already get setup?

Peace,
    Adam

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm in, even though i know far less this year than usual.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Didn't you setup the bracket last year? I've never set one up.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think i did. forgot about that. :D

just go to espn.com and click around. that's how i did it.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Okay. I think I set it up correctly.

Group Name: Talkbass
    Password: chair

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    alright, submitting my bracket. i've got stanford going down to cornell in the first round, purely out of spite. :mad:

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Why? :D

I've got Kansas beating Pitt in one of my brackets and UCLA beating UNLV in the other. I mainly went with high seeds and the teams the few teams I like. Like Georgetown going to the elite 8. Or Mississippi State beating Memphis in the second round. :D

8. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    The mighty Dangnewt Bracket of Doom has been submitted.

I really didn't follow college hoops too closely this year. I have my father-in-law's alma mater, Marquette going a little better than their seeding. Lest the old traditions fail, I have my grad school, UNC, taking the title.

9. I just wanna see my WSU Cougars beat Winthrop (all together....WHO?) this Thursday, then win the follow-up. I got mega-lucky and they're traveling 1100 miles to their first games - in Denver, 60 miles from here!!!!

Will I be there on Thursday??? OH, yeah!!!!!!! :hyper:

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    cornell accepted me but stanford didn't. :mad:

11. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Not only that, the Ivy League has been waiting for the opportunity to smite the cheeky upstart Stanfordians who had the nerve to horn in on our historic claim to mascots (and colleges!) of color - Crimson, Big Green, Brown. That train had long left the station by the time Stanford was founded. Cornell will show them who the real Big Red is.

12. Here's the word from a PAC-10 guy - EVERYONE better watch out for Stanford. The Lopez brothers are 7' monsters. Our (Washington State's) 6'11", 275-pound center couldn't even move them!

Stanford has an outstanding defense and a dangerous offense. In the word of our fearless, peerless, lame duck leader, "Don't misunderestimate them."

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    dartmouth used to be "the indians." ...so was stanford, for a long period.

is brown's mascot really "brown"? "the brown browns." :eyebrow::D:atoz:

oh, it's the bears. that's a bit better.

14. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Correct, both teams officially stopped using the Indian mascot in the '70's. However, Dartmouth had used Green dating back to the mid-1800's while Stanford adopted Cardinal after dropping Indians.

Who would have thunk that Dartmouth and Stanford have exactly the same number of Final Four appearances in basketball - 2.

They actually beat us for the national championship in 1942. Another reason to root for Cornell.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    dartmouth had/has a basketball team? :eek::p

all i know bout indian/big green athletics is that the football team won the ivy league championship at least one season back when my dad was on the team, and that dartmouth football is a long way from winning another ivy league championship. :p

florida plays san diego state in the NIT first round tonight. yay? :atoz:

16. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Three of my upset specials are going today

# 12 Temple over Michigan State
    # 11 Baylor over Purdue
    # 10 Arizona over West Virginia (although 10s over 7s is not much of a stretch)

We'll see if my usual strategy of picking schools that either I or my friends or relatives or my friend's kids attended will work this time.

Baylor - friend's kid
    Wisconsin - sister in law
    Marquette - father in law
    Louisville and Clemson - friend who went undergrad and grad respectively
    Kent St - former co-worker
    Arkansas - brother-in-law lives there
    Memphis - great food and music
    Xavier - since I like 3 Musketeers (the candy bar), I gotta love 14 Musketeers (the hoop team)
    UConn - only New England team

I resisted San Diego even though a good friend's kid goes there and Cornell which is where a couple of close friends attended. Friendship only goes so far when your school is seeded 13 or 14. ;)

17. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Not a good first day so far.

4 for 7.

Two upset picks (Baylor and Temple) didn't happen and my 8-9 pick Kent State got spanked badly.

18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My serious picks are doing great so far. My joke bracket is going up in flames. Something about having Mississippi State going to the Final Four will do that. :D

19. Dang... I was rooting hard for Belmont. :atoz:

On a positive note, BYU (whom I hate with a passion) lost to A&M, and my K-State upset pick was correct. :)

20. ubado

ubado Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    I'm rooting for my boys...UK (GO CATS!!!)... however I don't see them making it past Marquette in the first round. :crying:

To me it looks like it'll be UNC vs. Memphis in the final... IF they both make it throught the top seed upset time. :smug: