NCD: Dually Dos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Corey Y, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I bought an Eminence 3015 loaded Dually from Mark at BNA Audio in March, loved it, decided to get another and try out the Faitals. Just picked it up from FedEx about an hour ago, going to put it through the paces and record some sound clips in a bit. I'm digging the new grills Mark is using now as well.

Crappy cellphone pics ahead...

2013-07-29_15-21-18_874_zps278050fc.jpg

Here's a snap of the other (3015 loaded) one I already have as well.

photobucket-57881-1364594033014_zps12210b24.jpg

I've been using the 3015 loaded Dually and an Ampeg 810e with my band Warp Rig for the last couple months, so I'm going to try rockin the Dually fullstack this week at practice.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm jealous. :bassist:

3. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I already posted this in the Stoner/Doom Bassists thread, where I took some requests for demos. So this leans more towards the downtuned and dirty tonal spectrum. I'm planning on doing more demos, so I'll get to some more clean and standard tuning examples.

--

Alright, I didn't get to everyone's requests, but here's a good start. This is as much as I could get done before I had to wrap up, gotta go to the store before I head home.

Signal chain is:

Fender MIM Precision (Dimarzio Model P pickup, bottom 4 of a DR Nickel Lo-Rider 5 string set, tuned to BEAD) > pedalboard > MB800 > Faital loaded Dually. Microphone was a Shure SM7B, centered on the cone, about an inch off the grill, running directly into a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 interface, standard preamp, into Logic 9, no EQ or compression, just brought the volume up a bit.

2013-07-29_17-28-39_351_zps42d83b24.jpg

2013-07-29_17-27-45_435_zps93733dc8.jpg

Amp and pedal settings are shown below, bass was played fingerstyle with volume and tone maxed.

MB800 only (it's worth noting that halfway up on the master volume through this cab is louder than most people play shows, it's LOUD)
    2013-07-29_17-27-29_352_zpsa6d2d259.jpg

RAT + Clean Blend
    2013-07-29_17-28-03_750_zpsd1d2ecad.jpg

Pickle Pie B (blend off)
    2013-07-29_17-28-10_311_zpsc42de48a.jpg

DOD 250
    2013-07-29_17-28-16_402_zpsa0c7e301.jpg

Pharaoh
    2013-07-29_17-56-53_771_zpsfe37f468.jpg

and by Askrere's request, another one of just the amp, but with a different EQ setting.
    2013-07-29_17-32-40_132_zpsea418a9d.jpg

I'm going to attempt to do some more demos soon, including some more pedals, a variety of basses and maybe even some guitar gear demos just for fun. Hopefully very soon a head to head comparison of the two different speaker type Dually models as well. If anyone has any requests, feel free to drop them in this thread. My gear list in my profile is up to date (I think?) and I can also borrow some pedals from a friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I wanted to run twin twin Dually's. Pants flappin' insanity.

I have no experience with your head, or your mic pattern, but this mic placement works well for me on my Faital loaded Dually.
    Off access of cone. FoH sounded so incredible that I couldn't believe it was actually me. Tone was unbelievable.

You may want to give it a go to see if it blows your dress up.

All you need to add now is the Dually T and you'll have the Holy Trinity.

duallymicdtwo.jpg

5. You know... We could run four Duallies apiece off of our 3,000 watt power amps...

815, I dare you... :bassist:

6. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Nice rig Zoomie, I beg that JGR preamp sounds killer at high volume through the Dually.

Almost everything about the rig I had set up for those demos is atypical for me, just what was on hand and trying to cater a bit to how TB seems to like to have comparative demos presented. The MB800 is my backup amp, though it could certainly get the job done as my main amp, and I kept all settings at noon except the Contour (mid scoop). That amp already has a bit of a scoop in the mids and boost in the highs and lows with the settings at noon. I typically run it with the mids and bass around 2 o'clock and the treble around 10 o'clock. The rig I've actually been using is a Dunwich Amps preamp (Acoustic CC 140/150 based, w/ Baxandal tone stack) run off my pedalboard, into a Crest Pro-Lite 2.0 into the 3015 loaded Dually and an Ampeg 810e.

As far the microphone placement goes, I haven't done a proper recording with either of the Duallies yet. The last couple times I did record though I was using an EV RE20 in a similar placement to what you showed, a Sennheiser 421 on the center of the cone and an AT4047 a few feet back for some room sound, with a post-pedalboard DI. I figured I'd go with the SM7b for those demos, because it's a fairly flat response mic and takes a really high input without flinching. I centered on the cone because that's probably the brightest tone I'm going to get out of that speaker and a lot of people have asked me about how the mids and highs are on these cabs. Honestly I could have given it WAY more low end with little effort, it was rumbling the room while I recorded. When I do a proper recording I spend a generous amount of time playing with mic placement, amp settings and preamp type to get just the right tone. This was 30 seconds of setup and go.

I may try using this cab for a proper recording as soon as a few weeks from now. For that I'll probably use my Traynor YBA-1.

CL400Peavey, you're an instigator you are. I would have to resist the urge to upgrade to a Pro-Lite 3.0, if I didn't have that KT88 amp coming from Nick.

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I would but we would all go to prison. That is just way too much power for any small, splinter group to wield !

pmad_bass likes this.
  8. Thats why both of us have to do this. Who can bring contest to two 815 rigs?

9. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I was in the studio all day Saturday. In spite of taking the Dually and an F-115 that Mark built me, we did not have time to spend much time with bass tone. I did get to run JGR's 6SL7 post DI.

It was a hit and run 5 songs classic rock bar covers. The band asked me to stay close to orginal recordings as possible in terms of tone. I behaved and let the engineer eq for mix versus working to emulate stage tone. (aka subtle old school P Bass on four of the 5.)

We wont be able to get back in to the studio until probably November. Mark has agreed in theory to produce and I know that he will drag killer tones out of the Dually while telling the gui****s to fend for themselves !

I don't know which genres you play but if studio time allows, I think the Dually mic'd, mixed with DI of your choice, would be monster !

10. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010

I'm also an engineer/producer, although I don't have a studio anymore, just a mixing room at home. It's never been my day job and I couldn't keep it going and work full time after doing that a few years and losing money. I'm just starting to take freelance jobs again, mostly to pay for new tools setting up my wood shop at home. So I end up recording a lot of the projects I play for myself. It's kind of a double edged sword, in that I usually have more time to get the tones I want, but I also tend to push myself to get the bass done quickly, so it doesn't hold everything up. I probably put a lot more time into recording other bassists, but then again I generally know what tones I want and how to get them quickly.

I mostly play heavier rock & metal based genres, but I like playing a pretty wide variety whenever I have the opportunity. Currently I'm doing a grindcore band (in the midst of mixing the first release right now), an instrumental 3 piece heavy rock band with some psyche influence (Warp Rig), a doom metal band (Cold Mourning, in the process of recording that right now) and a fast hardcore/powerviolence band (Mental Waste). The first two I play in BEAD, the third I'm in Eb and the last in drop D. I also did some session work recording for a sort of alt country influenced rock band ("folk punk" maybe? I dunno). I have some freelance engineering jobs coming up I might play session bass for as well.

It gives me plenty of GAS enabling to collect a wide variety of gear. All my playing has been very recording based collaborations or gun for hire stuff for the past few years. Lots of jams, lots of recording, very little gigging. I really want to get back to regular gigging with original heavy tunes again though. Nick at Dunwich Amps is building me a 6x KT88 based amp that goes down to 2 ohm, so I'm really looking forward to running that in a live situation with the pair of Duallies. Warp Rig is just about ready to start recording and gigging, if that doesn't come together I might just go write some tunes solo and try to scrape up a lineup to play them. I've been doing a lot of low pressure, part time stuff in place of one full time gig.

11. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Very cool !

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Do you notice a difference in volume between the 3015 and Faital cabs with the same amp settings? In johnk_10's Starliner 2x15 thread he stated that the Faitals were much louder. Just curious, since you have both. I'm considering a Dually for one of the new Ampeg V4B reissues, and want to maximize the 100 watts the amp puts out.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Those Faitals sound so good. I keep threatening to try one in a B-15 cab but I'm afraid I'll like it.

14. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    They're neck and neck for volume. There's a difference, but it's not drastic. My gut response is that the Eminence drivers are just slightly louder, but the Faitals have more mid presence and highs, so they might seem slightly louder in a mix or by comparison. However, like I said, I haven't done a direct shootout side by side yet. When it comes to direct gear comparisons I've learned my memory and my perceptions, separated by space and time, aren't that reliable. Things I think are obviously true based on playing two pieces of gear in different places and/or different times, sometimes crumble when they're side by side.

I'm planning on doing some more demos with the two different Dually cabs, including a head to head comparison. So I'll be sure to update this thread with that.

By the way, I posted these in another thread but not here. I did another round of demos with the Faital loaded Dually, shortly after the first. These are with an EV RE20 placed off center from the cap, a couple inches from the grill. Just a comparison of a few different dirt pedals, using different basses. Jazz style (Carvin SB4000 in passive mode), Precision (Dimarzio Model P), Stingray (SBMM Ray34CA, active) and dual humbucker (Drake Custom with Nordy DCs, passive), all with nickel roundwound strings.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/corey-y/sets/faital-dually-gk-mb800-fx[/SOUNDCLOUD]

15. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks Corey. I ended up going with the Faitals. I decided on the Dually-T (with tweeter), which is only available with Faitals anyway. I have high hopes. :)

Cheers,
    Liam

16. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I know I already mentioned this when you PM'd me liam, but I think that's a good choice. The Eminence are great speakers as well, I have no intention of getting rid of them, but I've developed a quick preference for the Faitals. They just sound great, to my taste.

17. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks Corey. Enjoyed the clips, by the way. :)

Cheers,
    Liam

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Argh...I'm getting tempted by all this dually talk. Ok, color me interested. Mind if I ask the cabinet dimensions and weight on the new one with the Faitals? Price? (can PM me if you prefer feel inclined on that)

19. Dimensions can be found here.

20. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    Doug, sitting on the floor it the little rubber feet and casters propping it up a bit measures about 24" wide x 37" tall x 14" deep. I don't know the exact weight, some of the dealers' website will probably have it listed, but it's LIGHT. Light enough for me to pickup and place in the back of my pickup without any help and not hurt my back.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021