1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neat idea for sound proofing. Input please!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Metallkasten, Oct 28, 2006.

1. I was thinking about a cheap way to sound proof a room, and remember reading that cardboard egg cartons are good for this.

Then I realized that my school (I do culinary) goes through cases of eggs every day, and I could totally ask the pastry chef to save them for me.

How well do these work?

2. thats what all the garages ive seen for practice rooms have used

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can get fire retardant treatment for it, and then it would be safe. We had to do it for a stage production to treat the fabric on the sets.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Egg cartons will do absolutely nothing to soundproof.

Furthermore, there is no such thing as cheap soundproofing. The cheapest thing you can do is get your drummer a set of electronic drums and have everyone play with headphones.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You CAN find the foam egg-crate stuff, if you know where to look.

7. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Correct, all the foam stuff you see in studios isn't sound proofing and neither is the egg carton stuff... it's intended to balance frequencies and to correct acoustical issues caused from things like early reflections and standing waves.

The only way to effectively sound proof is to use multiple layers of dense materials with absorptive porperties to create lots of mass, with minimal points of contact and dead air in between. In short, there really is no cheap way to soundproof.

The absolute cheapest thing to do would be to rent a place to record/practice where loud sound is not an issue.
    ---
    c

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, double drywall with spacers can get expensive, eh?

9. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    That's a good start. Mass loaded vinyl is nice to throw in there too. The walls are probably the easiest part... dealing with windows and doors, floating your floor and ceiling as well as the necesssary ventilation are the tricky parts (if you're shooting for really sound proof).

Here are some good resources...
    http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/myths.htm
    http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

10. The only way I was able to soundproof a room was to build a room inside a room. The key is to leave about 6" of air space between rooms. I Used 2x6 wood studding, fiberglass insulation, 1/2" drywall taped all joints. Solid core door and commerical carpet on the floor, walls and ceiling. I also added new circuit breakers, wiring and outlets. I converted a 21'x20' 2 car garage. The room ended up 16'x16'. And we could jam all through the night without any fuss from the neighbors. Just make sure you have a self contained air conditioning unit in the room, it gets hot in there pretty fast. I was able to build the room for under $1,000.00 in materials. I did all the labor.

11. pdeon99

pdeon99

Oct 8, 2005
    If you are building an inside liner wall for acoustic isolation, a good trick is to use wood studs and rip a saw kerf down the middle of the stud for most of its length. That way the new drywall floats on the front half of the stud and you can put the liner wall up against the existing wall without the sound being coupled mechanically to the existing wall through the stud. With 2x4 studs + drywall, this sucks up only 4 inches of space; with 2x6 studs (better for stability), only 6 inches.

12. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hmmm... I'd be REALLY concerned about mold with all that carpet attached to wallboard in there since it doens't seem that you have any real type of ventilation and knowing FL's humidity.
    ---
    c

13. what these guys saying is all true. unfortunately there are no shorcuts or cheap ways to soundproof. sheer mass, a lot of $$$, and a lot of time needs to be invested before getting soundproofed.

14. bburk

bburk

Jul 24, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I agree that egg-cartons will do basically nothing to sound-proof a room. On the sound-treatment side however, I'm wondering if you hardened them up with something, if they wouldn't make decent diffusers... :eyebrow: Probably too regular to be full-frequency diffusers though.

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've found that fully loaded bookcases make great sound diffusers.

16. Good Point!.
    I never had a problem with that. The garage stays dry. I guess a dehumidifier would be a good idea when the room is not in use.

I moved and no longer live there. I had to knock the down when it was sold. I ended up buying a set of Roland V drums.

17. That works for me....

Attached Files:

• Tr1.jpg
      Tr1.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
  18. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Egg cartons? As stated, these are for sound "diffusion". I have these in my jam space and it seems to me they help with recording.

Sound proof? I hung the drywall from "resilient channels" to physically separate the drywall from the studs, so the vibration in the drywall is not transferred. These are basically an 8 or 10 foot length of tin or aluminum with a "J" crossection.

Not cheap. Sorry!

Attached Files:

19. Eggcrates = :spit: :)D)

For sound proofing, look at Soundstop panels. MUCH better than sheetrock. If I recall correctly they are exactly cheap, but very effective. Home Depot or Lowe's will have it.

For sound treatment, Foambymail is a less expensive alternative to Auralex. You can order a single big sheet of foam and cut it yourself, save a bundle. And I do believe it is fire retardant.

Good luck!

20. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Don't try to cheaply "soundproof" your practice room. It is dangerous and often does nothing to actually soundproof. Most of the time it just makes the noise sound "dead."

If you can't afford to soundproof, than just practice early, practice low, or get a lockout/rehearsal room. We share a lockout with another band for 150.00 each a month, in Southern California. We get a PA, backline, couch, fridge, pro shop, and have recordings and film of every practice. I'm not sure how expensive stuff is in North Carolina, but things are usually more expensive in California than the south from what I've heard.