1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck for mid-80s Fender Jazz Special

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by synecdoche, Feb 17, 2013.

1. synecdoche

synecdoche

Feb 12, 2009
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass special that I love, but the neck, according to the local guitar tech, is warped. It's still pretty playable except for certain spots high on the neck where it buzzes something awful. I was curious as to what the best course of action is here.

One thing I was thinking of was getting a new neck, but I'm not sure what to get. I know that this design's a hybrid between a P-bass and a Jazz, but I am not sure what neck to get. Are there other options? Before I do anything, I am going to get it set up by a local guy who comes with some strong recommendations from musicians in the area, but just curious as to what you guys would do. I really love this bass. It wasn't my first, but it was my first really nice bass and I put a lot of hours into playing it when I was younger. I want to start playing again and would prefer repairing it to getting a new instrument.

Thanks.

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Sounds to me like a fretmill & setup.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Get another opinion, many neck problems can be fixed.