1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassestkkm, Oct 13, 2013.

1. I have what looks like it used to be a P bass and the pickguard and the body have been routed to fit a musicman pickup instead of the usual P bass pickups. I don't mind that because I like the sound. However today after owning the bass for 7 years I finally dropped it. when I picked it up again it was sharp on the G string and flat in the E string. :eek: I inspected the neck in the pocket only to realize that the neck is 2.4 inches wide and the pocket is 2.5 for standard fender style necks. :scowl: Here's the thing though. I really really like this neck. Its got 21 frets which I really like and its without the hanging over. The 21st fret is actually on the maple and goes all the way around instead of the usual fender overhang like on the Deluxe p/j bass or a strat. How do I keep the neck on straight in the future and for when I have enough money to buy a new neck where do I go to get a 21 fret neck like the one I have to fit the neck pocket properly? :help:

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Lay a piece of metal screen in the bottom of the pocket. When you bolt down it will bite into the pocket and bottom of the neck heel (tongue) and lock the neck in place.

3. Loosen the screws.

Straighten out the neck by moving it until the strings align as desired.

Tighten the screws with the strings in the desired alignment.

Go on with life.

No other actions are needed. This is normal for bolt-on necks.

No replacement neck is needed (Many original necks from the factory don't fit any better than this and the instruments are trouble-free.)

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Re-tune, and get on with your life.;)

5. Thanks guys haha for 7 years I have been fine so I'll just continue on my way.

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I thought that was a built-in Fender safety feature, to absorb the shock when the bass is eventually dropped. Kind of like the slots in the brackets in your truck's bumper....

7. hahahaha ^^ Well I've got a Classic Vibe squire. I could always switch that neck in to see whether its really the neck or if I'm crazy

8. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    A metal screen in the neck pocket???? Don't do that.

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes. I have a Gibson G-3 with a brass screen from the factory and that neck never moved in its 38 years on the planet. If your neck moves this is the best solution. Gibson put it in the Grabber line, the first Gibson bolt on line, to avoid a common Fender idiosyncrasy.

You CAN learn something new everyday.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I once saw a no name bass in a pawn shop that looked like the neck pocket was enlarged using a screwdriver or super narrow chisel. It was cut crooked and way too big on one side. Someone had (very roughly and very crudely) cut some shims to fill the worst of the gaps then slapped in some wood dough to fill the remaining voids. It was sanded down nice and even with the top of the body but was never painted over. A good paint job would have hidden the whole mess. Since then I always take a very good look at the neck pocket of any bolt neck used bass I'm interested in.