1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck problems xS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krstko, Jan 19, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I bought a used bass. It was really cheap because the neck was bowed (I hope this is the correct word xD). The owner told me that he had already tighten the thuss rod. So why is the neck bent? Can the thuss rod untighten itself through time? (the bass wasn't in use for 6 years)
    And what can I do?

Sorry for bad english :)

2. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    well,a neck can bend towards the fretboard(bow) or towards the back of the guitar(hump),so you should adjust it accordingly,aslso,you should wait about 45 mins to an hour between quarter turns of the truss rod(give it a quarter turn and wait.)if all is lost,you can buy a replacement neck from mighty mite,warmoth or go cheaper and go guitarfetish.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If it has a bad bow and the previous owner already tried to adjust the truss rod without correcting the problem, I would be very suspicious that the truss rod was not in good condition. I would loosen the strings and check the neck bow. Then loosen the truss rod nut to see if it turns freely. If there is bow in the neck, tighten the truss rod nut slowly, 1/8th of a turn at time and check for neck improvement after each turn. If the nut binds up, stop and take the instrument to a service tech.
    Rocky

4. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Tx, I will try to repair it myself :D Just one question, can this rod strech or untight. I wonder how the neck bowed if the thuss rod was tightend already o_O