1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E_strat, Jul 23, 2012.

1. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    I have a 22 fret bass that I want to put what I believe is a 20 fret fretless neck on. I believe it's 20, because it's a Fender p-bass style neck. What kind of problems will I face if I try this? I'm pretty sure it will effect scale length. Sorry, I'm new to this.

2. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Ok, nevermind I have found the answer.

3. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    I have tried to use a 21 frets warmoth neck on my 22 frets jazz neck. The result is I need to find a luthier to change the position of the bridge to get the right intonation.

4. CiceroProfundo

CiceroProfundo

Mar 26, 2012
    As there are no frets on a fretless bass scale length does not matter. If you have an unlined neck you be using your ears to play in tune rather than looking at the "fret" position on the net.

On a fretless bass the octave point on the open string will always be halfway along its length.

That is, approach it as though you are playing a double bass. Use the open strings as reference tones to establish whether or not you are playing in tune.

I have made the mistake myself thinking that I'm in tune when looking at a hand position on the neck only to hear how badly out of tune I was! :)

There are quite a number of professional players who recommend that when it comes to playing fretless bass you should treat it more like a double bass.

Using double bass fingering helps you to play more in tune, IMHO. Personally, I have found that the "one finger per fret" doesn't work for me.

5. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, although I haven't had any upright bass experience. I don't really want a lined fretless neck, but I'd like having the markers on the side. I'm also having difficulty finding a fretless neck intonated for a 22 fret bass, but maybe something will come up.

6. jmfresh

jmfresh

May 23, 2009
    Carvin will make a 22 fret(less) neck to just about any spec you want. Click on the "Build & Order This Neck" for the myriad options.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/necks/n422

7. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    Awesome, thanks! I'll have to check this out.