1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck Swapping Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mojo3432, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Hi Guys,

This is my first post....Total NEWBE. OK so has anyone ever swapped out the neck on a Sting Signature P-Bass with the neck that belongs on the 50s Classic Vibe P-Bass?

I tried it today, however the holes don't line up. They are off about 1/4 of an inch or so.

Thanks

2. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Please tell me you didn't put the screw in when the holes didn't line up...

3. Haha....Not yet. Please tell me why I shouldn't.

4. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Before I answer, how are they misaligned? Is one or two sets of holes closer to the body than the other set?

5. All 4 holes on the neck are about 1/4 of an inch higher than the holes on the body.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    There is "the neck pocket" that the neck should fit into, and then there are the screw holes. If the neck fits into the pocket in the body everything is cool. The screw holes are irrelevant.

The screw holes should be filled in with dowels or toothpicks.

Fit the neck into the pocket.

Run a string or a rubber band through the bridge where the E and G strings would go, and run them through the nut where the E and G strings should go. (This is your reference for alignment. A little tension is ok.

Adjust the neck in the pocket so that the strings are straight as compared to the edges of the neck.

Clamp the neck in place.

CAREFULLY drill the correct sized holes to the correct depth.

Now you're ready to mount the neck with the screws.

Or just take it to a pro......

7. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Well in that case, if you tried to screw the neck onto the body, then the holes on the body would be expanded to the point where they couldn't accommodate either neck. If it's a replacement neck you desire, you may want to head over to Allparts or Warmoth to build/buy a new neck that suits you. In most cases, those necks won't have holes drilled (or will give you the option not to have holes drilled) and you can put in the screws anywhere you want.

8. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007
    Another thing to consider, are the necks the same length (21 vs 22 frets)? If not the intonation will be off and you might have to relocate the bridge. If so then the pickups will be shifted too.

EDIT: I LOOKED ON LINE AND BOTH NECKS SEEM TO BE THE SAME, 20 FRETS. SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM

Hopefully they are the same. If so glue and plug the holes in the neck with hardwood dowels. I set the neck in the pocket and secure it there with a clamp, being careful to pad it so I don't damage the body or neck. I string up the outer two strings with enough tension to make them straight. I move the neck until the strings are in the right position, then I drill the holes. I drill slightly smaller than the screws and use wax or soap to lubricate the threads of the screws.

Good luck.

9. Sorry I disappeared....I had to take my lovely wife out for some dinner.

OK....THANK YOU all so much for your input.

YES...both necks are 20 frets and the new neck fits perfectly into the pocket of the body. It's only the holes that don't line up.

I was planning on filling the holes with solid wood dowels and wood glue before drilling any new holes.

I think that should work but I just wanted to run it by you guys first before I did something stupid. Haha...Lord knows I've been stupid before!!! :)

10. Hi Ragoo. I had looked into just buying a Warmoth neck before I came across the Classice Vibe neck, but the heels of these necks are different. A Warmoth neck would never fit the pocket of the body because the pocket will only accept a very square heeled neck....a replacement from Warmoth has a more rounded, modern heel/cut.

I even called Warmoth and the person I spoke with said that there is no way for them to fashion one of their necks with a square heel.

I was bummed because I really like the Warmoth necks.