1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

neck too straight

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by robd, Jan 22, 2012.

1. robd

robd Supporting Member

I bought a Ray35 neck off a TB. Had it sitting around the house for 6 months until I could build a body for it. Just got the new body cut out yesterday. Bolted up the neck to try out, put on strings, brought it up to tension, but the neck is too straight...almost zero relief...truss rod is all the way loose.

Could the sitting around have cause the neck to straigthen out?

Will it bow some as I keep the strings on it for a while?

Any suggestions?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Wait another day or two. Wood takes time to respond to stress.

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If the neck had been sitting around unstrung, but with the trussrod tight, yeah, that can be a problem. But like Pilgrim said, give it awhile.

4. robd

robd Supporting Member

Patience is not my strong point here.... bass plays really nice but needs a little relief in the neck......guess I got no choice but to wait it out

Gonna have to pull the neck off to finish the body anyway, still have a couple more routes to make and it needs to be sprayed.

just not doing to well on waiting to play this new bass

thanks

5. de@n

de@n

Aug 5, 2010
    Slovenia
    Put some heavy gauge strings on...

6. robd

robd Supporting Member

It's got 130-39 now. but I dont know that I will want to leave those on it when it is done.

Also we tune down a 1/2 step, so in everyday uses it's going to have less tension that it does now tuned to 440a

I will go ahead and tune it up a little higher...but wont it just go back once the tension is released?