1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need 2 pieces for audition

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by AndreyR, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hey everyone, I'm applying for an advanced certificate in music education, and I'm required to audition on the bass to get into the program. Since I'm only "intermediate" at playing the bass, The program director suggested that I find a good Simandl etude and at least a Bach etude. For Bach, I found Suite No.3 in C major BWV 1009 - V Bourrée I & II that I saw people play on youtube.
    Can you guys please suggest anything else around that skill level? - I'm only up to the "high D" on the G string, and only up to Simandl's Method Book II: page 13 or so where there's exercises in thumb position. THANKS!!!

2. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    I took this information from the syllabus for the Royal Conservatory of Music here in Canada. If you're playing the Bouree in Suite No. 3 in C Major, the studies that are given for you to chose from are the following:

Billé, Isaia
    New Method for Double Bass: part 1–III [ER 263] RIC
    • one of nos. 34–46

Rabbath, François
    Nouvelle technique de la contrebasse, vol . 2 LED
    • etude 11
    • etude 12

Simandl, Franz
    New Method for Double Bass, book 1 FIS
    • exercise in broken chords (pp . 104–105)
    • legato exercises (p . 101)
    • legato exercise on two strings, no . 5 (p . 103)
    • no. 4 or no. 5 (p . 89)

Thirty Etudes for the String Bass FIS
    • one of nos. 7–18

Storch, Josef Emanuel, and Josef Hrabe
    Fifty-Seven Studies for String Bass, vol . 1 INT
    one of nos. 8-18

Mind you, this syllabus is dated from 2004.

And in case the school requires you to use an actual published copy (not a printed/photocopy); The book that I used to play the Bouree from is called Solos for the Double Bass Player by Oscar Zimmerman.

Edit: http://gyazo.com/bcd253838c5737ebfa3e10fe5005fda7

That link contains the solo and sonata works that at or around your skill level for the RCM. Although, I'm not entirely sure how many of those are actually playable by you. Best of luck with your audition!