Need a cheap way to mic 3 people. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Wolfman200, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Hey everybody, my band is looking into doing some gigs, but we don't really proper equipment. We need 3 mics, at least 2 mic stands and 3 Female XLR to Male 1/4 cords and any clips or other necessary things. We've never really done this before, so we don't know for sure where to llok for this stuff (Looking on musician's friend right now but can't conclude for sure whether these are the best prices). We're not lloking for super quality. We need something cheap. what do you guys suggest?
  2. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    cover band? Original band?

Are you looking to carry your own complete PA system?

What PA gear do you currently have? Mixer? Amps? Speakers?

If you list what gear you already have and what your goals are for playing gigs, it will be much easier to give you suggestions for extra gear to add to yours.
  3. For the purposes of gigs we'll be a cover band - mostly older classic rock type music - not loud compared to some bands. Check out the link in my signature if you want to know what we sound like.

We want a simple, cheap solution - meaning not a PA system. We'll be using amps only. I have a piano amp that has served us fine for vocals so far. However, we've been borrowing my dad's mics and some other stuff. All the vocal amplification was done on is equipment - including the mic stands and the cords.

We have very modest goals for playing gigs. Our real aspirations right now are just to be a good band.
    In short, we just need something to amplify voices. that's really it.The instrumental stuff is already covered.
  4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Musician's Friend will probably be your best bet in this situation. They're always having some kind of buy 2 get one free or buy 1 get 2 free or whatever sale on some cheapy brand or other. The only problem I'd see is that just sticking a 1/4 inch end on a mic cable is going to cause impedance problems going into a keyboard amp--you might wanna look for an impedance matching adaptor or cable of some sort.