1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a "Cool" song for 10yo Piano Student

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    My son has been taking Piano lessons for three years. He's not bad. But his teacher has yet to move beyond "Oh, Susanna," etc. He's getting bored. I feel like I could keep him interested if I could get him to play something that he liked.

This poses a couple of issues. First, I'm not a piano player. I can figure a few things out, but I'm no Chopin. Second, as a ten year old he doesn't have a huge list of songs that he likes. He listens to pop radio and likes video game songs. I asked him what he wanted to learn and he said "The Zelda Theme from Breath of the Wild." I looked it up. It's wicked complicated. Far beyond either of us. I know that he likes the song Video Killed the Radio Star...I couldn't find a simple enough version that I thought I'd be able to teach him.

I know with guitar and bass there are some simple tunes that everyone learns (Smoke on the Water, etc.). Are there any equivalents for piano? Any recommendations for a song that I can learn and can teach him? Any help is better than where we are right now.

OldDog52 likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How about some Dave Brubeck.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I think this song is really cool.

ii7-V7 likes this.
  4. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    My nine year old likes to play the theme to Star Wars in a simple arrangement

OldDog52 and ii7-V7 like this.
  5. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I could probably pick up Take Five on the Piano, but not the boy.

6. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    My son loves Star Wars. Is there a book out there with simple arrangements?

OldDog52 likes this.
  7. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well

slobake and ii7-V7 like this.
  8. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Oh! He actually got a photocopy from his teacher, there should be a book availble somewhere.

ii7-V7 and OldDog52 like this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I inherited the piano that I took lessons on when I was 10, and there in the bench was all the sheet music, tucked away for 30 odd years like a time capsule. I recently looked through it and there was nothing cool. It's no wonder I never stuck with it. I basically went from Mozart to "Put On Your Heartlight" and then gave up and pined for rock and roll until I bought a bass when I was 15 and hooked it up somehow to a record player to jam out to Billy Idol.

Also: sorry about the awful song I posted, but I really do like it.

ii7-V7 and OldDog52 like this.
  10. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    When encouraging youth to learn music, there is no bad song if they exert effort to learn to to play it. They’ll figure out good from bad as they progress. :)

11. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Linus and Lucy? Harmonically pretty simple, cool groove in the left hand, catchy melody in the right.

12. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Why don't you write one together :) Start from a chat about the sounds he likes, favorite notes and chords, and take it from there. He's bound to love it if you make it fun.

I was just listening to Let 'em In,

Might work - t's a fun, melodic tune. Doesn't seem too difficult but there's lots of musicality, good song-craft, and enough complexity to make it challenging and interesting :)

FilterFunk, ii7-V7 and OldDog52 like this.
  13. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Bernie Worrell demonstrates Funkadelic's "One Nation Under A Groove":

14. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Lot's of good advice here. Thanks everyone!

15. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    This is deceptively hard to play. I have played with some pretty good musicians who have trouble with the syncopation of the left hand as it is no easy task. Just sayin' (and I love the song!)

ii7-V7 likes this.
  16. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Perfect! It'll give the kid a challenge! ;)

17. Dream On Aerosmith. Youtube has some folks that'll show him how to play it and it's a cool song!
    Fishheadjoe

18. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Lol!

Tom Lane likes this.
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Layla.

-Mike

20. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    The intro riff from Imagine is nice.

When i was a kid i figured out the riff from Jump by Van Halen on piano, which is fun... wish i could remember it!