1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a fuzz pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackwell1029384, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

Dec 12, 2011
    I'm interested in getting a fuzz pedal, as the only dirt i have is a Boss OBD-3. i like the sound of the wooly mammoth but it's way too expensive, i was also looking at the bass big muff and the el grande bass fuzz but i'm open to suggestions

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Fender-SubLime-Bass-Fuzz-Pedal.

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    What kind of music? Current bass(es), head, cab?

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    What is that, you say? You're looking at trying out a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache fuzz?

5. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

Dec 12, 2011
    i'm playing anything really, The Mars Volta, RHCP, RATM, Muse. i only have a small bass rig, a yamaha bass (although i'm about to buy a fender jaguar) and a Roland Cube 100watt

6. jackwell1029384

jackwell1029384

Dec 12, 2011
    that fender sublime looks pretty good, ive never even heard of it before thanks for the suggestion!

7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    EH Bass Muff is a good place to start if on a budget.
    Otherwise the Grey stache might well be the best fuzz around.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I'm and IE and ss/bs fan boy...officially, I think...now.

Can't go wrong with the Oxide or Team Awesome Fuzz Machine. They're both great. Comes down to a matter of taste. If you look for either one the classifieds...you can get them on the cheap.

9. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i agree.. i had the boss OD for years, wasnt the pedal geek i am now, then the EHX Bass Muff gave me an idea of what fuzz can do. Now I have the swollen pickle... and now i have a woolly mammoth clone in the making. I fear this could go on for a while. fear/excite.

10. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    (cough, cough) Megalith (cough,cough)

11. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    This. :bassist:

12. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Check out the Mastotron by ZVEX. 90% of the Woolly Mammoth, more than 50% off the price.

13. Is there anybody here that has owned both the SS/BS Team Awesome and the Fender Sub-Lime that can let me know how they compared? I'm interested in both, but don't have roughly $300 to allow me to do a side-by-side comparison to see which works best for me. If so, thanks for the help. (I watched & liked vids of both on youtube btw.)

In case it helps, playing sludgey, bluesy, garage rock for lack of a better description; with a P-bass or Stingray into an old Trace amp.

14. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    You can often pick up a Swollen Pickle in the classifieds for under 100. I'm pretty sure there is one there right now. It's the best fuzz that's easily found without dropping a Benjamin IMO. I really love mine, specifically when I run my guvnor into it.

15. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    de Lisle Fuzz
    [​IMG]

Barber Trifecta
    Trifecta_final_index.

I like the sound of my bass through both of these pedals very much.

16. Baron_Von_Boom

Baron_Von_Boom

Dec 20, 2011
    I just bought the Subdecay F-Bomb. It is a HEAVY gain fuzz that takes your bass into almost synth sounding territory when maxed. It's designed for the guitar, but it's FAR better for the bass IMO. I find it's response on the guitar not predictable enough, but on the bass it is balls to the walls fuzz. The first time I played it with my band it blew everyone away. One of the guitarists compared it to Colin Greenwood's lead line in Exit Theme (which is exactly what I was thinking when I tried it out at the shop).

17. If you want psycho fuzz, check out some of Devi Ever's pedals. I have the GZ which is an octave fuzz and is my "go to" hellacious not-subtle fuzz.

18. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Did anyone say gated TAFM yet? Ben where are you?

19. The TAFM was mentioned twice in this thread (besides my inquiry about a comparison between it and the Sub-Lime), though they did not mention the gate mod on the TAFM, so I'm not sure if you're saying you like the gated mode on the TAFM, or just that the TAFM in general, is, well...awesome! Haha

Have you ever had a chance to try the Fender Sublime? If so, I was wondering how the two compared?

Cheers!

20. Woolly clones pop up in the classifieds every now and then. Your best bet is to get on youtube and start researching.

My personal preference for Fuzz is of course, Fuzzrocious. But, there are a lot of great fuzz pedals out there to choose from. It's kind of like an addiction really. Stay away from the MXR. It's a good pedal, but for the price you can get a lot better pedal.