Need a good backup rig/combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jan 15, 2006.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I need a good back-up rig, preferably a combo for under $300 (used of course) that I can use for small (coffeehouse) and midsized (small to medium sized bars). Right now I am looking at an Ampeg BA 210 SP. I could give a damn about the digital effects but it is $375. Which is a good price for this amp which really rumbles but I'd like something less expensive and maybe not as heavy if possible. I had a Fender BXR 100 for a long time and I regret selling it because it was a pretty loud little combo and I gigged with it several times.

I just sold my Ampeg BA 112 which was a killer apartment/coffeehouse amp but not quite big enough for regular bars and I don't live in an apartment anymore so didn't need it.

Any suggestions?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    yorkville xm100 or bm100?
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can find an old peavey tnt with a 15" black widow those are always a good choice (but a bit large and heavy).

one of my personal combo faves (and i hate combos) is the swr workingman's 15

another option would be to get a small cab that you can use with your current head. The aguilar gs-112 is small and light. the bag end S15 is another good choice, as are the 12" offerings from epifani and bergantino. A lot of other small cabs do the trick. I've neard nothing but good things about the ea wizzy for example.
  4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thinking about an Ampeg B100R. Found a great deal on one.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    B100R-niiice, do it.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The B100R is a perfect choice. I love that little amp.