Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a little help w/ 2 things!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by big cheez bread, Nov 6, 2003.

1. big cheez bread

big cheez bread

Nov 6, 2003
    hey everyone! yes im a new member on this forums i found it searching for some bass tabs and well anyways... i am in speech class and we have a demonstration speech to do.. and i of course choose to demenstarte the bass guitar.. and i was just wondering if any of you could help me with any information for this speach. i am a self taught player... i.e. i know how to read tabs.. some music... slap/pluck/pick.. blah blah blah.. well anyways i was hoping if any1 could help me with the history of bass guitars and some things i could include in my speach. i have the basic down but from the things ive read i can tell many of you know alot more than me and any help would be great...................

and secondly i was wondering if any1 could help me with ideas to write ska bass parts... im in a ska band right now and im running out of ideas for parts and i would like it if u have any ideas how to improvise/write better parts thanks alot for any1 who helps me (cough cough) i know im new:bawl: but hey its all good

2. fender.com
    bassstreet.com

these oughta to give you some background on the electric bass!

try searching in the Misc forum, this has come up before!

as far as your ska-lines go, use your imagination.. search! :p

you will probably need to pickup a book on theory and building basslines...

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Depending on your time limit...

If that were me I'd get a little inspiration from beginner bass instruction videos, provided I know what I'm talking about...Your speech will come much more naturally if you know what you're talking about (i.e. you're not going to go off trying to demonstrate a 12 Bar Blues if you're not familiar with what it is). Most instruction videos begin with showing you the parts of the bass then go on to simple theory or maybe a simple bassline.

I'd start with a little history of the bass, then go on with showing the parts of the bass, etc. Maybe a tiny bit of theory, a scale or two, how a song comes together...And do what you can to hold the other students' interest. They may not be musicians themselves so I would say this is the time to do something that would make them go "ooooh ahhhh", like playing a bassline you know. The students may care less about learning the instrument, but they want to be entertained...and maybe develop an interest in the bass.

Good luck. :)