Need a pickup!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lucas vigor, Jun 3, 2005.

1. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Hi, I need to install a bass pickup for jazz, blues, bluegrass, Hawaiian and country styles. The bass is a strunal.

It should be as easy to install as possible, and be as true-sounding as possible....

any suggestions?
  2. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Easy to install, yet good sounding pick ups?

Realist is about $175, I think. Installs by loosening the strings enough to pick up a bridge foot and slide it under. Sounds very good, not outstanding.

Upton Revolution Solo is about $100, sounds better than Realist IMO, but installation is slightly tougher. You need to sand the pickup or the bridge wing to get a snug fit. Took me about a half hour. Once it's in, it can be removed easily.

Full Circle sounds good too, but installation can be tricky.

Those are the ones I've used that sound good. I'm sure you'll hear about more soon.
  3. Another alternative is the K&K Bass Max, which mounts similarly to the Rev Solo, so you may have a bit of sanding to do on the bridge wing. This also has the advantage of being about the cheapest decent PU on the market. Mine sounds pretty good, but I plan on trying the Solo soon.

Also bear in mind that the PU alone may not be enough. Most players use a separate premp as well, due largely to impedence matching problems between the PU and standard bass amps. Some PU's are OK without them, some require one, but I think it's fair to say that almost all at least benefit from a separate preamp.

My Bass Max sounds MUCH better with one, and I thought the Realist sounded better with one as well, even though they advertise that no pre is needed. The Rev Solo is advertised the same as well.
  4. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I agree with larry and bassbuddy. The K&K Bass Max and the Revolution SOLO are both solid choices for pickups that are easy to install.

If you go this route, (as many others have posted) I'd urge you to spend the time to try and find the "right" position and fit for the pickup. With both the Bass Max and the Rev SOLO, I found that adjusting the position of the pickup and the snugness of the fit can produce a variety of tones, and can make a big difference in your sound. It did for me anyway.
  5. The K&K Golden Trinity is the Bassmax pickup combined with a small condensor mic that can be positioned near the f hole. The pickup and mic are mixed thru a two channel preamp. This gives even more flexibility in fine tuning the sound. The mic is a bit prone to feedback, and I usually mix it in just enough to add a bit more resonance to the sound. The whole deal costs a coupla hundred as I recall.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for the Rev Solo. I've never used a pickup that was so easy to dial in and not get feedback at loud volumes.