1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a punchy 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ergodynebass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. I recently bought a Stingray and after buying it I pretty much retired my Ibanez 5. I mean I love 5 string and the Ibanez and it's so easy to play since its long scale it is super easy to play but the bass just sounds dead to me. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth after playing the Stingray. I'm thinking about trading in my old combo amp, the Ibanez SR505 and my old Ergodyne 4 string for something else that's 5 string but I don't know what to test out I just don't want something that sounds lifeless. I really think it's the pickups, not really a fan of barolinis like I once was. For the new 5 string I have really narrowed it down so far to say I want something sort of like a pbass possibly but I don't know exactly. I guess I don't know exactly what I want. Lets just say what would you recommend thats a 5 string sounds really punchy, nice slap tone? Is there something comparable to the stingray sound that I would prefer in a 5 string thats not made by them? I would just rather have like 2 different basses that had sort of different sound but also sounded good.

Sorry if this is confusing. Maybe I should just suck it up and get myself a bongo 5 or SR5 :D

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The Stingary 5 has a different type of pickup and preamp than the Stingay 4, and they do not sound the same.

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    You said you are not a fan of Barts, but if you want PUNCHY, the Lakland 55 series basses will get you there.

4. SR5 HH would by my suggestion.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sadowsky M5 Metro.

6. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZ BENZ
    Modulus Q5 Sweet Spot with EMGs!

7. Take a stab at the MTD's. The Z5 or ... if you have the bucks ... the 535 is great.

8. Not the same as the 4's eh? I did play a SR5 on my amp, I liked it but it wasn't the same. Not really a 5 string fan normally. Sadowskys I like the sound of but never played one.

9. GeezerFleaWoote

GeezerFleaWoote

Dec 31, 2006
    G&L 2500!

10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I can't think of a better compliment to a Stingray sound than to have a nice jazz bass in the arsenal. Personally, I'd look hard at the Lakland Darryl Jones Jazz Bass. :bassist:

11. +1 Punchy like a SR5 but different. Great bass.

12. JimS

JimS Supporting Member

+ 1

13. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Peavey Cirrus!!!! Click on the link to hear Maurice Fitzgerald absolutely kill on a Bubinga/Walnut Cirrus 5. I own one-it is AWESOME!!!

I think the big differences in sound with Cirrus basses are between the walnut and maple bodies. I don't think the tops add much. The walnut provides a darker warmer tone. The maple is a brighter sound. Same Cirrus tone buried in there though.

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

14. That's a big +1! :bassist:

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    SR5. Yes the sound is a little different than an SR4, but not by too much...

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Try the marcus miller 5 strings, they're a quality instrument.

17. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The SR5 is not THAT different from a regular 'Ray. There is a certain MusicMan sound, which all of their basses have even though there are slight variances between the different models. So, if you really like the sound of your 'Ray, go for an SR5 or Bongo5. If you are looking for something a little different, try a good Jazz 5er. Fender American Deluxe Jazz V, Lakland JO5 or DJ5, Valenti, or a used Lull is what I would recommend if you go that route.

18. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    +1 Another Shout Out for the Lakland 55-01. AWESOME Bass!

19. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm confused... your avatar is a SR5HH? Haha but I guess you don't own it? Ok, haha.

If you have a SR I wouldn't get an SR5. I LOVE my SR5 but they are pretty close in sound. When I got a 4 banger I wanted something a little more different so I got a jazz. They are just so versatile... I can even mimic a P bass by soloing the neck pickup and playing up towards the neck... If I wanted to make a killer bass I'd get a MIM jazz deluxe V and change everything out.... 'twould be nice.

20. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    My $.02

Favorite 5's under $1700 (in order)

1. Lakland 55-02
    2. Lakland DJ5 w/ Aero's and J-Retro pre
    3. Stingray 5HH
    4. Lakland 55-01
    5. Fender Jazz Victor Bailey V (If you can get past the gold hardware, the tone is KILLER)