1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a simpler way to practice quietly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassistFreak416, Oct 23, 2009.

1. I need a more convenient way to play bass to music at night. currently i use the headphone output of my bass amp to send my bass sound to my over-the-ear headphones, then i have my in-ear headphones from my ipod to play the music, and then use both headsets at the same time. as you can probably guess, this isnt working to well.

primarily, my headphone cords arent too long, so i have to sit just about next to my amp and lean over so i can keep some slack. how can i increase the length of my cords to play more comfortably? is there a device that i can hook my ipod and amp to so i can hear both through only 1 headset?

also, the headphone output of my amp has some static noise in it. while mild, its present and kinda bugs me. far as i can tell, it is caused by the amp and not my bass as it keeps even and doesnt change with playing. is there some different preamp or device that can let me control my sound but have a cleaner sound or be more portable than my amp?

2. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Tascam Bass Trainer

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Korg Pandora PX4B works quite well for me - on the used market, you should be able to get one for under $100...

- georgestrings

4. Cafe Walter HA-1A.
    I've only heard good things about it, wish I had one

5. Sheldon681

Sheldon681

Mar 26, 2008
    Ottawa
    Sell your practice amp and pick up one that has both Aux-in (for the IPOD) and headphone out. And if necessary you can buy headphones with a longer cord or just buy a cord extension. It shouldn't cost a lot to find a better solution.

6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    A small cheap mixer ?

7. i believe the amp has an aux in, otherwise my fender rumble 15 does, but it too has a static with the headphone output. should i expect the static or is it just bad wiring?

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    This.

For the amp, I suggest the Acoustic B20. Cheap, good sound, has a CD/MP3 input and headphone jack so you can just lay your iPod on top of the amp and play to the music with either the headphones or through the speaker. It's "only" 20 watts, but on the fun side, it's 20 REAL watts with a 12" speaker, so it can shake your room nicely when you don't have to be quiet. :)

Hope that helps.

9. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    If you've got both jacks doing that, it sure sounds like crap wiring. What kind of amp is it?

10. Peavey 115 combo. trans tube emulation, 3 way voice switch, 3 band eq. i think the mp3 jack doesnt connect with ipod headphones. its slightly smaller. the headphone jack is a standard 1/4 jack, and i happened to find an attachment that i put on the end of the headphones to connect to it.

11. jeff25

jeff25

Oct 17, 2009
    I picked up a eden Nemesis 120 combo on closeout for $250.It has an aux input (RCA) with gain and tone controls,and a headphone jack. I jack my drum machine or iPod into it all the time. It's a 1x12 combo,so I don't tote it around like a "practice"amp,but it's just the right size for home use and has all the features I need.

12. LSquared

LSquared

Jul 28, 2009
    SW Illinois USA
    +1
    That's what I do. You can get a headphone extension cord, too.

13. couldnt find the korg on their site. seems to be discontinued. the ha-1a fits exactly what i was thinking of. even without an eq, a direct sound would be interesting to hear a clean pure, unaffected sound. it seems though that they produce it in small quantities, maybe i can find it on a different site. the tascam is nice, but i dont really need to shape around the songs to be easier.

14. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Hmmmm. Wonder if the background noise is something to do with the tube emulation, or some other amp setting. That wouldn't explain static in the jacks though.

I know what you mean on the headphones. After switching around for too long to get phones that fit whatever my current amp was, I now have a nice set of Yamaha studio headphones that have a 1/8" jack and came with their own screw-on 1/4" adapter. Best of all worlds.

Looking on Musician's Friend, seems like all the jacks on the Peavey 115's are 1/4", which makes no sense since every MP3 and CD player I know about uses 1/8" jacks. I know the MP3 and headphone jacks on the Acoustic B20 are both 1/8" jacks, so they will take standard iPod sized plugs.

15. Tascam basss trainer. no need for any (audible) sound, works great, I have started practicing 200% more thanks to this

16. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    The Korg PX3 works well also and be had for around $50 or so. Just less features than the 4. Check out Ebay. Great practice rig for earphones and input jack for ipod or any other music. Drum beats, tuner, effects. Try to get one with the manual.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

I,ve got a Behringer XENYX 802 (29.00 at GC) guess that would be a good candidate with headphones ... but 99% of the time I practice with no amp at all ;)

Felixwhistlethumb. ...

18. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    You are suggesting he sells his amp? What? The guy just needs the cheapest, smallest mixer he can find. That's it. $30-40 bucks is plenty. Even the cheapest behringers mini mixer will sound great for practicing to songs.

19. I'll echo this suggestion. I have one of the older models, I think (PBX2 or something like that).

I run my iPod & bass into it and headphones out. The unit has a tuner and what is probably by today's standards a primitive phrase trainer to record & playback loops.

I originally bout it to use as a tuner & multi effects unit but the sound quality one the effects isn't that great. It works well to do late night practicing while the wife and chillins sleep away.

I can practice anywhere I want without lugging a practice amp around. Sometimes it's lounging on the couch and sometimes in the office on the computer while I look at music.