1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a simpler way to practice quietly

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassistFreak416, Oct 23, 2009.

1. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Try the Pocket Rockit S1b. Works with mp3 and bass at the same time using 1 headphone. My bass sounds great flat through it (I never play live flat). Wish I could get my rig to sound this good live...

2. Bass Northwest have them, and they ship internationally if that helps.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Exactly - I use mine with a Sansa mp3 player and some Grado SR60 headphones, and it sounds very good... Since I got this setup, I'm able to play ALOT more without bothering anyone else in the house - although I have a pair of EV Eliminator 115+horn PA tops hooked up to my home stereo, and will sometimes run the Pandora's headphone out into the stereo tape in, and it sounds great...

I love my Pandora - if it crapped out tomorrow, I'd start shopping for another immediately...

- georgestrings

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    yep!
    get a cheap mixer and you'll be done!

5. That's what I do too. Get a small mixer and plug your laptop/iPod into one channel and your bass into another. You can listen to the mix through the headphones. A mixer with an effects loop will let you run you effects into the mix and some even have built-in effects, EQ, etc. I have a small Mackie 8 channel that works great for this.

6. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I am at the very cusp of pulling the trigger on one of these.

Link

7. +1 for that... its great

8. do it

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Although those are pretty good, I've found Korg products to be of better quality, generally speaking....

- georgestrings

10. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    My PX4b just died today, I've had it for years. I'm bummed.

It's no longer listed on Korg's website, only the guitar model.

The Tascam looks interesting, but I'm wary of the iPod-like built-in battery. Plus I live overseas and the AC adaptor woudl have to run 100-220v (like my great Eden mini head).

Also the Korg had some usable sounds built in, a lot of the other headphone amps don't.

The Guitarport seems interesting, not sure how it works and how well it travels, I like to bring my Pandora with me to warm up before gigs.

There's a Aussie brand with a Chorus and another effect at a local store here, forgot the brand, will come back with that tomorrow.

11. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I use the Tascam Bass Trainer and Wireless Headphones.

It is the simplest set-up that I have found.
    (I have it on right now)

12. rob4001va

rob4001va Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    Jampod

I think they are discontinued, but know they only work with the older style ipods (b/w screens...forget which generation Apple calls that)

Sits on top of the ipod, has plug into bass (std 1/4) and mixes your bass with the ipod's mp3 tune and outputs it all to a headphone.

Dirt cheap....I think something like $20. (I got mine for free from a friend). Sound quality is so so but it works.

13. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    I just had another look at the Tascam - I don't see an audio in, looks like you have to have the music loaded on the unit to play along. I guess that has its advantages, but is a disadvantage for spur of the moment stuff.

With the Pandora I could plug my iPod in or hook into my latop to all the music loaded there.

Do I have this correct or does the USB give you access to your PC's data?

14. Just do it. One of my better investements recently. Easy to learn songs, practice with a metronome, etc. Also will work on battery power or you can buy a power adaptor.

15. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
  16. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    The Korg PX5D replaced the PX4D.

17. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    The PX5D and the PX4D is the bass and guitar model combined. Bass works well with the "D" series Pandora boxes.

18. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I am having good results with the Vox Bass Amplog. Very portable, inexpensive.

19. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    2 cents..

That Tascam unit is way over-priced for what it does and considering it's limitations.

I like the Korg px3 and the cafe walter, but prefer the Bravo audio tube headphone amplifier, yo!

20. LawDaddy

LawDaddy

Oct 16, 2009
    I love mine, bought one for my daughter as well. If you can spring for extra cash, the GT-R1 is an excellent little unit. It also allows for recording, and accepts more types of mp3 files.

http://www.tascam.com/products/gt-r1.html