1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need advice on portable stage monitors

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by NickFromNY, Jul 23, 2012.

1. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    After many, many years of use, our trusty (but very heavy) Yamaha stage monitors are dying off. I am looking for input on lightweight, yet reliable stage monitors. We play a lot so they need to be able to take loading in and out several times a week. power wise we use amps in the 400-500 watts a side at 8ohms range. I have the opportunity to pick up 2 or 3 Peavey SP12m monitors at a reasonable price. Not familiar with them though. Not looking to go crazy on price, but not looking to use Behringers either. Peavey, Yorkville, Yamaha, Carvin, etc..

2. The SP line from Peavey is a nicely built, good sounding monitor IMO. I have seen beat-to-death ones that still sound good even if they look like someone backed over them. Yamaha's also seem to hold up well over the long haul. But personally, I would look into going the IEM route if you need to replace many monitors at once. That would certainly solve load-in/load-out issues.

3. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I wouldn't consider the SP12m to be light weight....but anyway..
    I have been running the Yamaha CM15V monitors for 5+ years now and they take a beating and have held up very well.
    Although I am not a Carvin PA gear fan there new TRX monitor has peaked my interest a few times: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TRX12N

Might be worth a look at, plus they are very small.

4. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    You could get something other then fat/heavy yammmies, but would it sound better? I'm honestly not sure. If I had the choice, I'd buy new yamahas.

If someone knows of a equal sounding and lighter monitor, I'd like to know also.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  6. +1 for Yamaha. We've been using BR12's for years. Sound decent, take a beating and just keep on going. Not too heavy either.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Vocals and guitars ? Are you putting drums, keys, etc through them ?

For vocals and acoustic guitars and percussion I like the Mackie c200 (under 300 per unit in a bag). It is the passive version of the sm350. Keep sub 100 hz out of them and they will get very loud... If you need more low end extension, the c300 is the passive version of the sm450. $475 approx in the bag.

I've migrated away from passive floor monitors to Mackie Thump 12s. Light, loud, reasonably priced. I really like them a bunch for my uses. I am a tad quesy about dealing with Loud on amplifiers or electronics in general but so far so good...

I am not in general a Mackie fan. These three speakers I'm a fan of though. I still own the c200's I was using before the thumps. I rent them out with a Yamaha powered wedge mixer as a small system for parties. They've been troopers so far.

8. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  9. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I guess if you consider 112dbs loud.:confused: Might work OK as a monitor if you are a quiet band.

10. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Just vocals and acoustic guitars through monitors... Never drums or bass through monitors

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    +1 on the c200 for reasonable volume stages, not carrying low-frequency content. Very good value @ under $200 w/o bag.

12. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I wouldnt classify us as a quiet band

13. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Not sure your def of loud. The c200's rated for sustained SPLs of 118dB @ 1kHz/1meter.

14. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Not sure if you were talking to me but I was talking about the thumps.

15. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    FWIW the Yamaha's sensitivity is rated at 97dB SPL at 1W, 1Meter which makes the max RMS (350W) SPL 122dB and the max Peak (700W) SPL 125dB.

Yamaha does not specify if these measurements are taken using a sine wave or bandpass pink noise but when it comes to speaker specifications there are no universally adopted standards so you shouldn't make purchasing decisions based solely on the specs.

16. derrico1

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    actually OP, post #12.

Agreed about the Thumps, though.

17. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    if you want lightweight and very good sound:
    PRX412m
    PRX415m

They work well for mains too.

18. NickFromNY

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have a line on a local sale for one Yamaha Br12m and one Yamaha Sm12e both in great shape. I am go that route.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    mis-matched montors - hope you have 2 mixes and separate EQ's for each. The BR by the way is not very good at all...

Thumps might not spec well but they can pin your hair back when they are at your feet looking up at you ... Then again my environments do emphasize 3 part harmonies and to do that it's either in ears or keeping the stage volume in line... so guitar amps are 15 to 30 watt tube amps (Fender Deluxe, Rivera Doce, Carr Rambler, Princeton Reverb, etc...) That 112 will get much larger by filtering rolling off in the low end as well..

I use a few different rigs but often it's an MB500 and fEarful 12.6 or an MB200 and 2 1x10 cabs as monitors - drums are mic'ed and everything is in the PA.

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Dump it all and go to In-Ear monitors. Light, portable, easy to use, way cheaper than floor wedges + amps.. Carvin sells great In-Ear monitors as does Nady (I think they are made by the same people) and they are not too expensive. A system from Carvin is $399 and you can add as many receivers to that as you would like, so you can buy one and a couple of receivers, then come up with another $400 buy a second and have 2 mixes and so on.. Cheap, super light weight, great sound, easy to work with and more room on stage!